Transmission shifting

RetroBird03

RetroBird03

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
question to all retro owners.....
When your car shifts in the first couple gears is it a but tougher than the rest?
Mine is a bit tight and wondered.
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

question to all retro owners.....
When your car shifts in the first couple gears is it a but tougher than the rest?
Mine is a bit tight and wondered.
We had to get a rebuild on our 2004Bird. clunky shifts $2200.00
Communicator

Just bought a rebuild today.
It was re-flashed and I was told it has to be broken in. Drive it like an old lady so it shifts properly at the beginning time.
But it will shift harsh in the first couple gears if I was to hit it down right now.
Does that sound like about what you were told as well ?

You need to take it back. A new tranny should shift smoothly. I had this problem years ago with my toyota after the tranny was replaced. The yahoo who put it in didn't know what he was doing. The owner agreed and redid the job. When it comes to tranny take it to a reputable shop. I took mine to a mom n pop shop which was cheaper but in the long run cost me more. The guarantee was only good for 90 days. I got rid of the car soon after.

It’s smooth and quiet. I was just told to take it easy..... not to drag race but take it easy till it’s broke in. They said it may shift hard the first couple gears if I hit it down hard.
It was replaced by AAMCO. 3 year guarantee.

Mine shifts like it's low on fluid ... poorly. If only there were a dipstick I could use to check the fluid level. What a novel idea. But as it is, the only way to check the level is to jack it up and open the super special fill/drain plug and pump fluid in with another special tool. What a hassle.

Unless somebody knows a better way? I am open to ideas.

Also the autostick function is disappointing, it does not like to go 2-3 or 3-2, so I can't really use it at all. Performs adequately in full auto though with smooth shifts. If you leisurely drive it around for a few days, it should calibrate well enough to smooth out the shifts.

Mine shifts like it's low on fluid ... poorly. If only there were a dipstick I could use to check the fluid level. What a novel idea. But as it is, the only way to check the level is to jack it up and open the super special fill/drain plug and pump fluid in with another special tool. What a hassle.

Unless somebody knows a better way? I am open to ideas.

Also the autostick function is disappointing, it does not like to go 2-3 or 3-2, so I can't really use it at all. Performs adequately in full auto though with smooth shifts. If you leisurely drive it around for a few days, it should calibrate well enough to smooth out the shifts.
Thank you for the input.
I appreciate it. After going thru the Dreaded E issue it leaves you always glancing at your dash wondering if it will ever happen again.
So far, 300 miles and no issues. But I am driving like a 90 year old lady to make sure I take it easy. But honestly, I missed driving it.
My rental was a Chevy Spark. I called it, The Spec. Driving the TBird again is a reminder of smooth power.

Back