1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Towing a 1996 t-bird

Discussion in '1989 - 1997 Ford Thunderbird' started by Ah Clem, Dec 24, 2018.

1. I’m looking for advice on towing a ‘96 T-Bird from Los Angeles up to south west Washington state.
    It appears a two wheel tow dolly is my only practical option; a Haynes service manual mentioned first having to removing gas tank and exhaust components to remove the drive shaft, while an 8 year old post in this forum mentioned just 4 bolts and sliding the shaft forward to disconnect it from the differential. Is that possible for a 1100-1200 mile towing trip? Any further insight that will help? Thanks

2. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven Well-Known Member Gold Donor

I would guess that you could unbolt the U-joint and slide the shaft forward. The only thing would be that you would have to insure is the shaft is well supported and won't move around during the tow.

Ah Clem likes this.
  3. You can take loose the four bolts to the diff and lower it to get to the driveshaft otherwise you will have to take out the tank exhaust and the two u-clamps around the shaft they aren't easy to do