Towing a 1996 t-bird

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m looking for advice on towing a ‘96 T-Bird from Los Angeles up to south west Washington state.
It appears a two wheel tow dolly is my only practical option; a Haynes service manual mentioned first having to removing gas tank and exhaust components to remove the drive shaft, while an 8 year old post in this forum mentioned just 4 bolts and sliding the shaft forward to disconnect it from the differential. Is that possible for a 1100-1200 mile towing trip? Any further insight that will help? Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I’m looking for advice on towing a ‘96 T-Bird from Los Angeles up to south west Washington state.
It appears a two wheel tow dolly is my only practical option; a Haynes service manual mentioned first having to removing gas tank and exhaust components to remove the drive shaft, while an 8 year old post in this forum mentioned just 4 bolts and sliding the shaft forward to disconnect it from the differential. Is that possible for a 1100-1200 mile towing trip? Any further insight that will help? Thanks
I would guess that you could unbolt the U-joint and slide the shaft forward. The only thing would be that you would have to insure is the shaft is well supported and won't move around during the tow.

You can take loose the four bolts to the diff and lower it to get to the driveshaft otherwise you will have to take out the tank exhaust and the two u-clamps around the shaft they aren't easy to do

Back