Towing 2002 behind motorhome

P

Paul Jr

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to tow my 2002 T-Bird behind motor home. Anyone have experience in towing 2002 - 2005 T-Bird with REAR wheels on tow dolly ?

I have never heard of a tow dolly strictly for the rear wheels. You would be better off to tow it on an auto transport trailer,either open or enclosed.

I towed my '05 many times on a tow dolly at up to 80mph and it did just fine. I put the back wheels on the tow dolly and strapped the steering wheel to the seat-mounts to keep it from turning. It's either that or disconnecting the driveshaft. This was the easiest way for me and it did just fine. Hope this helps.

I towed my '05 many times on a tow dolly at up to 80mph and it did just fine. I put the back wheels on the tow dolly and strapped the steering wheel to the seat-mounts to keep it from turning. It's either that or disconnecting the driveshaft. This was the easiest way for me and it did just fine. Hope this helps.

Exactly the info that I am looking for, thanks I will try that.

Here's the only picture I could find of the hook-up. Since I towed in the mountains of Ky & Tenn I added a deeper finned aluminum oil pan ( 3 extra qts.) on the tranny and an extra tranny cooler( finned in-line aluminum in the tranny cooling lines. Pulling full speed up the mountains I checked the temperature of the tranny when I stopped for fuel and it was cool to the touch, never any problems.

Does anyone know if you can flat tow, or dolly tow a 2003 T-Bird behind a motorhome? I think the answer is no on the flat tow but I am not sure.

We towed our '05 many times on 1.1k trips to Fl. I used a tow-dolly, pulled it backwards. I had to strap the steering wheel down to the seat mounts to prevent disaster. The car towed great at 70 mph and I could stand up the tow-dolly in the one-car garage (wheels off, stood against the wall). The only thing bad about a tow-dolly is you can't go in reverse like you can with a trailer. You really have to plan your gas-stops etc. Good traveling !

Is this even feasible? Do we need a trolley that lifts the rear wheels off the pavement? Any thoughts or experience? Thanks.

Back