tips for delivery day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any tips when delivery day comes? What should I check out on the car? What should I worry about with paperwork? Extended warranties? In other words, would anyone want to do anything differrent if they could do it again? Thanks to all!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I posted a similar inquiry when my 'due date' was near, but didn't get much response. I found a good delivery checklist at Motley Fool that should give you some help.

When you get down to it, it's pretty hard to sort out every last detail when your new T-bird is sitting right there waiting to be driven home! Maybe others have more patience, but I wasn't inclined to spend additional hours at the dealership making sure every last item was perfect. I mean, are you going to refuse delivery and have them spend days on repairs? Rightly or wrongly, I figured minor defects could be corrected on a subsequent visit.

A few suggestions, nonetheless - try to arrange for a knowledgable friend to accompany you for the pickup. They can cast a more objective eye and ask the right questions. You should ask the dealer if any repairs were made after shipment. You should verify the VIN on all the paperwork. Unless you know just what you want, postpone discussion of extended warranties or be prepared for a long sales pitch. Other than that, jump behind the wheel and let the fun begin!

-

tleslie - Besides all the normal items checked during delivery the two most important items I recommend checking real carefully is the paint & the upholstery. Once you've signed the dotted line and left the dealership its extremely difficult to go back and say you've found a scratch or a poke in the upholstery. It can become an issue as to whether the chip, scratch, poke, etc. was really there at time of delivery or it happened after delivery which the dealer can say they are not liable for. Oh and almost forgot tires. Check tires carefully for cuts, nails, screws, etc. Next morning I found an upholstery screw in the left rear tire of my T-Bird and the dealer would not help. Said I could have picked up the screw anywhere. I'm sure by the style of screw it was that it was either there from the factory or picked up in their shop during PDI. But I had no way of proving it and had to go to tire store & have patched myself. Could have been a disaster had the tire been ruined and I'd had to buy a new tire on only the second day of ownership.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

-

On my car there were some buff marks (actually very fine grit sanding marks), about 1 1/2" to 2" in diameter, from the factory paint shop. I did not notice these until several days after delivery. I have to have the light just right to see them so I suggest you go over the paint in the bright sun if at all possible and check from different angles. The spots are not visible looking straingt down on them but if you get off to the side they show up.

-

Thank you Mr. Lon O'Connell. I feel better about the upcoming day. Should be close (2/11) by 800#, but if they are 1 week ahead of schedule, then even better.

I certainly agree with Lon and Jodrod, especially. And I think Trcruiser said to take an extra pair of eyes. They help so much. I would even as for the bodyshop manager and sales manager to look the car over with you. If it wasn't for the sun shining very brightly on my drivers side we would have never found the paint defect on my rear panel. And the bodyshop guy found some scratches and was very helpful in ordering some things for me. They fixed everything to a tee and were very helpful in every way possible. And don't forget to have the tires valve cap changed before you leave. Have a great delivery it is so worth the extra work/love.

DavidN - I recall reading that the cars are shipped with yellow caps from the plant. The dealer is to replace with the grey ones which are shipped with the car. This is to assure that the tires pressures were checked prior to delivery. Perhaps someone else knows more about this.

Birdbrain, You heard it here. I was present during the Pre-Delivery process. The car had yellow valve stem caps on it. In the glove box there was a small zip-lock bag about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with 4 grey valve stem caps. The lable on the bag had the Ford logo and read, replace yellow valve stem caps during PDI after verifying correct tire PSI.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Lon this isn't true with all cars. I was there when mine was still in the wraper and it hadn't been touched except for driving it inside the dealership. It came with black caps and no others were provided.

------------------
02 T-Bird
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back