2002-2005 Thunderbird Convertible Top Pivot Arm

It took me about 2.5 hours to finally get the install of the new arm done and even at that length of time I could not get the flex pin situated correctly where it would work without me assisting it. But, it does work. You may want to put some type poly coating on it as mine is showing signs of rust already.
Where you able to get the whole clamp assembly out. I have the clamp assembly but can not figure out how to get at in??

@jimtcrowe , can you tell me if the top latch pivot arm is available or where I can purchase. Thank you. I saw your post so I joined the club too. I have an 02 T Bird. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I too have a busted latch on the driver's side of my 2002 T Bird. Jim, do you have any latches available? Others, can you tell me where I can purchase. Love the T-Bird, but the weather is turning here in Northern California, and I need to put the top up! Cameron
Tbird driver side latch.1.jpg

Attachments

• Tbird driver side latch.jpg
    Tbird driver side latch.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 5
I recently had a pivot arm break on my convertible top latch. Unable to find the discontinued part at a reasonable price, I had a local shop machine me a new arm and also had a few extra made.

If you have this problem I can sell you the pivot arm, the bushings, and a new designed pin to allow simple installation. By using the new pin instead of a roll pin, this does not require disassembly saving you several hours of work.

If you have a need for this part, contact me at @jimtcrowe

This new pivot arm is made from steel rather than cast so it should not have any future problems as it is superior to the original. You need to save you old j-hook and spring to reuse.

MODERATOR NOTE- 2020 You can also sometimes purchase the entire soft top assembly here. Ebay Purchase Link Click Here

Thanks,
Jim
View attachment 797
Do you have any of these left to purchase? i need one set or will buy two so when the other one goes....

Chris

I have a feeling that the J hook vibrates inward making it tighter on the passenger side while the top is down. It seems that the majority of the breakage is on that side. Mine included. Maybe a little lock tite blue on the threads when assembling will prevent future problems. Maybe checking if your car is still intact before they break might save some angst later as well.

Got an 02 bird with drivers side latch broken. Bushings gone as is the pin. Found a place to get these overpriced items. Just need to know how to remove the plastic cowl around the latch to get at removing the latch and replace the missing parts. I’m guessing it snaps in place. But don’t want to break it trying to force it off. Any help appreciated. I’ve looked online but can’t find any info on how to do it. So I come here. Thanks in advance
Earl in NC

I am referring to the soft top latch pin and bushing that are missing on my car I need them and a guide on how to correctly install them. But I can’t find them any place that doesn’t cost the earth.

I have found that most trim parts for these cars just snap in place. Just take your time and be gentle.

Just a short note. I repaired these pins and bushings myself with $3.27 in parts from lowes hardware and about an hour of time. Very easy repair. No cutting or destruction of parts in any way. No disassembly of the latch. It remained in original spot. But it’s now fixed and working properly. It should last many years beyond my lifetime. Guys charging $189 for the parts to repair this should be put in jail for theft.

Just a short note. I repaired these pins and bushings myself with $3.27 in parts from lowes hardware and about an hour of time. Very easy repair. No cutting or destruction of parts in any way. No disassembly of the latch. It remained in original spot. But it’s now fixed and working properly. It should last many years beyond my lifetime. Guys charging $189 for the parts to repair this should be put in jail for theft.
Myblack02! can you please divulge how you were able to slip a new pin into the bracket with the trim still in place? Or did you remove the trim? I can visualize a clevis pin and a cotter pin to replace the missing pin but can't see a way to get that in there without trim removal. Any pics or help would be terrific!
Thanks!
Jeff

E-mailed you a couple of times for this part. Please check your mail. I was about to have them fabricated locally when I saw your post. Having my top replaced and want to do these at the same time. Thanks ~!
Jim,,I Received the parts and soon as I can find someone to help lift the Hard top off I will fix my latch ;) Do you happen to have a photo illustration of where everything fits? I don't want to put something in the wrong way. If you want you can send it to my email ,,which you have ;)
Afternoon- I too am in need of a Pivot. Do you still have any available?

I just bought two kits from jimtcrowe and installed them on my tbird. They worked great and I think they will work for a long time. Also they are not as expensive as other kits so you can afford them. Thanks, Jimtcrowe.

To Myblack02 can you please show how you were able to slip a new pin into the bracket with the trim still in place? I can't see a way to get the pin and spring in without removing the trim.
Thanks, NancyT

Looking for pivot arm convertible latch for my 2004 t-bird. . Busted a pivot arm today. Looking to buy two. Thanks in advance.

Looking for pivot arm convertible latch for my 2004 t-bird. . Busted a pivot arm today. Looking to buy two. Thanks in advance.
I just bought a couple from Jim Crowe for my 2004. He still had some earlier this month. Good luck!

Back