Thunderbird Collection boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have some serious collectors in our group with experience about "packing boxes" for collectibles?

I am wondering if the black shipping boxes that the each Thunderbitd Collection item was mailed in should be saved.

I collect Dept. 56 Dicken Villages pieces and in that case the packing box, the styrofoam packing abd the Wrapper are all important to the value as a collectible. For a retired piece, there can be a major price difference between one with and one without the packing material.

I know our Thunderbird Collection pieces will have value in the future - especially for someone who buys a Thunderbird in the future and would not have the pieces we got as original buyers. But, I am not sure whether the black shipping boxes will make a difference.

What are the thoughts out there???
smile.gif

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The black boxes, when stacked in a certain way, display the thunderbird logo. I have kept the black boxes, but not the shipping boxes.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

I am keeping my shipping boxes also. I think they will add value later because it keeps the real box in pristine condition. It also proves you were the original owner and part of the "Manage The Wait" program, which in itself is unique.

It is the "shipping boxes" boxes, with the UPS labels, I was questioning.

I know we will need to keep the black container with the embossing and numbers that hold the Collection item(s).

Thanks

Originally posted by 2birdblue:
It is the "shipping boxes" boxes, with the UPS labels, I was questioning.

I know we will need to keep the black container with the embossing and numbers that hold the Collection item(s).

Thanks

It is my Understanding that shipping lables, envelopes, etc are normally used to help verify the authenticity of something. For example, I have autographed 8x10 pictures of Peyton Manning while he was at the University of Tennessee that were mailed to me from the Athletic department.
I don't think the packing boxes are relevent to anything in this case. The boxes and packing material for a breakable Precious Moments also contain logos, etc. Does the box have any relevent logos relating to Ford?

With out any specific knowledge in this particular case, I would say save everything!

As 2birdblue said, the boxes are very important with collectables like the Dept 56 houses. Also, I remember that to Lionel train collectors the Lionel embossed paper that was part of the packing material is considered very important today because so many folks threw it out!

Bottom line, if a lot of folks throw it out and you don't, then it will be important to some future collector. If you are concerned with collectability I'd save everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back