Thunder on 66 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony just sent me the latest Thunder on 66 data package and it is located at:

Thunder on 66 Information

The registration forms are not include due to a incompatibility in formatting. You can contact Tony and he will send you the needed items.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Well, for anyone who is interested, Thunder on 66 is cruising on track! Schedule called for meeting in Elgin, IL on Tuesday Aug. 13th for the start, then leaving Wednesday the 14th for St. Louis, MO. I have heard that they made Joplin, MO on Thursday the 15th after a long drive, and now are on their way to Weatherford, OK for the night. Then Amarillo, TX; Albuquerque, NM; Williams, AZ (2 nights) and the Grand Canyon; San Bernardino on Wednesday the 21st. **** National Convention starts Wednesday & goes through Saturday (awards) and Sunday (breakfast). All the hard work, plans & talk have come together to make this a reality!

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 242K

what happened to them going to Navy Pier on wed morning??? i happened to be down there so i ran over there and there wasnt any birds anywhere xcept for the **** gulls

Don't know - I haven't joined them, yet - leaving Sunday from CA to meet them at AZ/NM border. I have only heard from them about MO, so far. I'll check the Thunder group site to see if any further progress reports yet.

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 242K

I just read that the group roasted, I mean coasted into Weatherford, OK for the night.

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 243K

Been fun the last two days

It's really been fun the last two days in Amarillo. About every 30 minutes KPUR FM 107.1, the oldies station has been really talking up the Thunder on 66 Show-n-Shine at Ron Clark Ford. Saying such thing as the largest gathering of Thunderbirds in one place the Texas Panhandle has ever seen and hearing our own club name mentioned over & over on the radio is fun. Have friends coming up all the time saying they heard "High Plains Thunderbirds" on the radio. Then there is the articles in the newspaper. Its just been Thunderbird heaven here the last couple of days. KPUR will be doing a live remote from 2PM to 5PM at the Show-n-Shine with the morning crew. If there is anyway you can possibly make it to Amarillo Saturday with your T-Bird, it will be the place to be !
Cruised through the Holiday Inn parking lot last night about 7:30 and saw 5 T-Birds from Colorado waiting for the Thunder group to arrive. There were 3 02's and one of them was a Neiman Marcus (1st one I've seen) and two early 60's models.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Hey Lon;Do you know if KPUR is on line so I can listen in on the computer from 2pm till 5pm? Can```t be there but it would be great to listen in. Any one know how to get the station on line?

Thanx

Triple Black #3 of 5 ....7854

Tbird-eh good question, but i honestly do not know. If never tried tuning in a station on the computer so I'm not up to date on that. Sorry.

------------------
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Just got back from Albuquerque last night (Monday night) and this is my first chance to report. At our MidPoint Show-n-Shine which was hosted by Ron Clark Ford and the High Plains Thunderbirds which I am president of, we believe the show was a huge success. Total car count was just shy of 100. We had 23 2002's which 3 were Neiman Marcus cars, 12 or 13 little birds, 6 or 7 birds of the 60's & 5 or 6 Birds of the 90's.
Grand total of birds was between 45 - 50. Additionally we had close to 50 other cars including Vettes, Mustangs, 55 - 57 Chevys, Cadillac's etc. Weather was in the 90's but a bit windy. KPUR FM 107.1 was on hand for 3 hours doing a live remote and did an outstanding job. They talked the Birds up over and over and I'm sure they are resonsible for a lot of the spectators that came out to see the cars. We had a silent auction on T-Bird memrobilia, door prizes, & free hamburgers & hot dogs for the participants. Spectators could get dogs for 50 cents & cheese burgers for a dollar. We provided a wash station for the cars coming in from Thunder on 66. The gentleman who washed the cars has a mobile service where he washes the inventories of all the new dealers in town. The service was provided for free to the participants and they were all really impressed with this service. We had 10 classes of cars 5 which were for T-Birds and a total of 30 plaques. We had enough cars in each and every class except one to give out 29 of the 30 plaques. We even had a 2002 Avanti on hand. That night we went to the show TEXAS in the Palo Duro Canyon. The next day and night on the way to Albuquerque & in Albuquerque I received many thank yous from the T on 66 participants for the wonderful show-n-shine and for suggesting the group go to the play TEXAS a few months ago. Wish you all could have been there.
It was so nice to meet so many people from all the boards. Yellow wind, 7530 yellow, FDCaptain, Racer02Captain, Leon Emmons, and several others.

------------------
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

-

-

Just got back from the thunder on 66 and it was a blast. Some people stayed with the group. we ventured out on our own. we joined them in joplin and went all the way to williams arizona.For a first trip Tony did a great job. It is not easy keeping everyone on schedule with such a big group but we all got to know each other and enjoyed the sights. thanks to Paula for her story as we followed her progress and I even got picked up on the way back to Iowa by the Oklahoma state patrol but he looked the car over and gave me a warning. My mileage---28mpg at 70mph!!! I am very pleased with the new tbird. I encourage you all to take the trip, but allow plenty of time to enjoy. Leon

Leon,

Got to watch those black and whites in OKlahoma! Was it one of those sneaky Camaros or the regular Crown Vic? Enjoyed meeting you and the other participant when we met up with you in Joplin. Just wish we could have had more time with the group.

Paul
4 Red FORDs

I joined Thunder (finally!) on I40 near NM/AZ border Monday afternoon, went the rest of the way more or less with the main group. It was hard keeping a large group all together - some of us toured in smaller groups, but managed to do the major stuff planned. Went to **** convention in Costa Mesa, too. Thought I had entered my car in Display/People's choice, but had actually entered it in Late Model judged! Got a participation (non-points) trophy, but then it's a 10-year-old, 245,000-mile daily driver, and shows appropriate dirt & wear. Did get it washed & waxed beforehand to get the road grime off, and the Dark Plum paint sparkled the best as it could, and did get some comments. Overall, I had a great time with Thunder & the convention & the sightseeing excursions during both. The people and cars were all great, but it was the people who made it the best! I only joined at the tail end, but the people who had made the whole trip (& more) took me under their wings and treated me like an old friend - thanks to all!! (You know who you are.)
If you ever get a chance to drive even part of the historic Route 66 on your own or with a small group, it seems worth it to me.

------------------
Dennis Grant
1960 HT 208K
1992 Sport 245K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back