The latest problem -- top | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

The latest problem -- top

• Thread starter Thread starter whvt01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really been a problem all along but finally stopped at
the dealership about it. Takes 2 people to close, one
being the top operator and the other to wrestle the pegs
into the holes. It finally flipped some plastic pieces
onto the hood so decided to take it in.

The service adv -- sort of laughed and said we are getting
quite a few in with the problem and Ford has just issued
a service bulletin. They were going to start on there first
car that afternoon.

He said part of the process is putting the car in the paint
booth and getting it real hot !!!!!. Will let them experiment
for a while before go in. First I had heard of this.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Maybe the car would have sold better

if Ford had gone with the retractable top like most of the
upper end cars. Features like the full LS message center,
memory system, power sliding seat, active handling and
small items like a locking gas cap or dimming mirrors
would have added a lot too.

A self storing top would have been a major convenience
feature.

A retractable hardtop? I don't think so. I can't see how it would fit in the body. Remember that this was supposed to be a retro style vehicle. 55 through 57's did not have retractable hardtops. If there a problems with the soft top now, think about how many problems there could be with a solid top. I can hear the complaints now about no luggage space if there was a solid retractrable hardtop. I believe the problem with the soft top is that it may not have stretched enough due to the newness of the vehicle. This was discussed earlier with problem resolution. As far as the other "goodies" are concerned, The memory seat is not a problem as I don't let anybody else drive my Bird. Dimming rearview mirrors are available as an aftermarket product. Let's remember that the original T-Birds were made from the parts department just like the present ones.

Besides leaving no trunk space, the weight addings would be detrimental. This car already weighs in at a hefty 3800 lbs (Approx). Adding retractable roof, and more would put this car over the 4000 lbs plateau. The little add-ons don't seem like much, but a pound here and a pound there, and two pounds over here not to mention 100 + lbs for a retractable roof would turn this fairly peppy car into a lead sled.

My bird was one of the early ones and I have not had any problem with putting the top up by myself. It has only been up twice but each time I let it up several days letting it stretch. Good luck with getting yours to operate easy. By the way I heard that the retractable hard top was nixed because the port hole would have to be eliminated and they wanted the retro to have it. Maybe the next generation T Bird will have it if there is a next.

OH it would have to be a different rear 1/3 to accommodate
the top for sure.

But on the weight, surprised would be that much
different than when the hardtop is on the car now.

Will probably wait till fall to have the top looked .
It getting to hot for top down driving here. Back when
the cars were being shipped, they sort of went by locale.
The group that arrived here may have been plagued by
poor top fit. They evidently have quite a few to work on.
Been using it regularly for the last couple of months
and condition has not gotten any better.

No problems what-so-ever with the top or any other aspect of
my Bird. Couldn't be happier with it just as it is!! I enjoy it
more and more each passing day! Others should do the same.

No problems what-so-ever with the top or any other aspect of
my Bird. Couldn't be happier with it just as it is!! I enjoy it
more and more each passing day!

Others should do the same.

How nice you can say this. Ours is just one problem after
another. Seems get one out of the way and up crops
another. My others car/truck are troublefree and it is a good
feeling to just get in something and "go have fun".

I had the same trouble initially with my top...had to be pushed to the left and a lot of pressure to get it to close, pins wouldn't line up. Took it to the local Ford dealer (not where I bought it) got it back same day and it works exactly as it should now...perfect

Blackbirds did they say what had to be done. Did you
hear anything about putting it in the paint booth and
getting the car "real hot". Maybe this was for up North and
repairing in cold months. But saying "real hot" was
a back off for me.

They really didn't say what they did..the service sheet says "adjusted"...don't think they heated it up, at least no evidence, had a candy bar in the console, didn't melt... LOL

I don't have any complaints about little red, except the fact that when we remove the hardtop and use as a convertible. I can't get the top totally secured. The lever seems very stiff, or maybe it's just that I don't have the strength in my hands.

My dealer did take a look at it and said that he can't loosen it up or the top wouldn't fit right. Anyone else experience this?

Speeking of a retractable hard top, a Tbird concept car with one has already been produced by valmet automotive. Article and pic at valmet-automotive *******. This is an important european automotive engineering company that builds the Porsche Boxter and other specialty cars.
http://www.valmet-automotive.com/index2.html
Hit NEWS and find date 25.02.2003 Glass hard top folds and retracts into roughly the same space as the soft top with a hard boot !

Last edited by a moderator:
Followed the link -- From the photo like the look of the
concept better than the production. Removing the
port holes and adding the glass skylite looks
more appealing. Even if it didn't retract it might
take away the tight enclosed feeling of current
style. The wheels sure help the car too. If Ford
would have spent just a little more time in that
area appearance sure would have been enhanced.

Opened some of photos. The grille replacement
looks much nicer, not as plastic-ity as factory. Cleaner
without the small lights.

Good link

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back