teflon coating | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

teflon coating

• Thread starter Thread starter cbird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C
Reaction score
I have just bought a 2005 medium steel blue. At the dealership they were talking about putting a coating of Teflon on the paint to eliminate the need for waxing. I had not heard of this and am interested in whether anyone has any opinions about this. They were also offering to put a sound reducing treatment on it and I had not heard of this, either.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are several posts on UseNet about this subject.

I think most members are using Zaino

When you order Zaino make sure you put ThunderbirdForum.com for Club/Website Affiliation

Last edited:
I am using this type of paint protection system. I have used this system since 1996 on two vehicles and a 2000 motorhome (Airstream Land Yatch) with an all paint exterior. It has done very well in protecting the paint from UV. The cleaner that is applied once or twice a year removes all the soap and grime build-up, and the vehicle shines like new. No wax!
Be sure the system you are considering is a two part system (1)paint protectant (2) paint cleaner. Check my post on undercoat for brand name and application.
RLS

cbird said:
I have just bought a 2005 medium steel blue. At the dealership they were talking about putting a coating of Teflon on the paint to eliminate the need for waxing. I had not heard of this and am interested in whether anyone has any opinions about this. They were also offering to put a sound reducing treatment on it and I had not heard of this, either.

Just a guess as I don't know anything about the dealers Teflon coating but it sounds to me to be a gimmick to put another few hundred dollars in their pocket.

cbird said:

Please read my note regarding the dealer applied teflon protectant under the 'black car care' thread. Zaino is far and away the best wax/polish I've used in nearly 40 years of trying everything. It not only looks and protects better - It beats the devil out of the dealer minimum wage types scratching the car while applying that 'teflon protectant'.

DaveC
How easy or difficult is Zaino to use? Anything like the old paste waxes or more like the liquid polishes?

Where can one purchase the Zaino that you are talking about. I would like to buy something that would protect the paint, and allow me to bypass waxing. Thanks 🙂 🙂

jordsdad said:
Where can one purchase the Zaino that you are talking about. I would like to buy something that would protect the paint, and allow me to bypass waxing. Thanks 🙂 🙂

Jordsdad,

I think you can only get Zaino from their website... zainobros.com or http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc but it doesn't "bypass waxing". I'm not sure I believe in these lifetime treatments dealers like to sell.... Todays clear coat paints seem to look good for five years anyway even if you don't do anything at all except wash them regularly.

Zaino has a very large following among car show fanatics. It does look very good but I think you could get within 10 percent as good of results with 00mustangs suggestion of Meguire's Liquid Gold http://www.autobarn.net/chg-7016.html and you can get that at most local autoparts stores. I've seen tests that show Zaino lasts longer but it was judged marginally better. In my opinion if you want the car to look the absolute best as it can go with the Zaino. If you're happy with marginally lesser results but less hassle, Meguires or other top name wax, should be good enough.

I have used Zaino for years on all my cars. The most recent wax that I have found that beats it is Migures nxt paste. It works great on dark colors. It does not last as long as Zaino, but it is easier to find. Make your own choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back