Tbirds on hold !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C
This morning I learned that my vehicle, 12778, is still at Wixom. It, along with several hundred others are on hold.
eek.gif

No details are available but reportedly the problem affects all vehicles manufactured at Wixom, not just Tbird. My car came off final assembly on March 8th.

------------------
Charlie
Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent
Built but not delivered
VIN 12778

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I think WixomPooh said last week that the line was stopped because of a supplier problem. She then posted that the paint started up again, but she didn't know about the rest of the line. I wonder if this is a continuation of the same supplier problem.

Hi All

I can't tell you what is going on... I haven't even heard any rumors.

I can tell you that there are a whole lot of birds sitting in the parking lots.....

We keep painting them.... so hopefully it isn't anything to serious.... will let you know if I can dig up anything

Originally posted by charliefed:
This morning I learned that my vehicle, 12778, is still at Wixom. It, along with several hundred others are on hold.
eek.gif

No details are available but reportedly the problem affects all vehicles manufactured at Wixom, not just Tbird. My car came off final assembly on March 8th.

That explains why ours hasn't been delivered yet(113005). It was supposed to be delivered the week of March 18th but only living 50 miles from Wixom, I thought it may be delivered earlier.
I did see an all white Bird south bound, on a car carrier, yesterday on US23. Hopefullly they'll release them soon.-Slyfoxxmi.

Some of the birds are waiting for hard tops, Ford is rejecting any that don't have perfect quality. The others along with LSs are waiting to have the airbag modules checked or replaced, an issue from engineering. Most of the cars should only be delayed a few days.

Some good news, Wixom is building a few more each day to make up for last Monday whem instrument panels from another Ford plant were not available and the production line had to be shut down.

-

redbird,
You may be on the right track about the airbag modules. I had my car in Monday (03/18) for the replacement of a door panel which came with little ticks in the brushed chrome strip. I asked the dealer to also check out an audible "click" or "rap" sound in the steering whenever I turned the steering wheel. (You can feel it through the steering wheel as well--it's most annoying.) When I picked the car up, the dealer said he could not find the source of the steering click problem, though they had heard and felt it. HOWEVER, they also said that they had checked the airbag module, and it was fine. I thought to myself, "Airbag module? I never said anything about an airbag module. I only wanted the annoying noise and vibration to stop."

I'm guessing that dealers have been told to check all incoming Tbirds for defective airbag modules. But this is only my guess. Your mileage may vary.

All I can say is that this is a first-class car, and Ford will eventually make it right. Meanwhile, I still have the click in my steering.

txktom that click noise you hear in the steering wheel is most likely what they call the clockspring. It is the wires for the airbag. It acts like a self retracting tape measure. It lets wire out as you turn one way, then retracts it in as you turn the other way. Ford has had a lot of models with clockspring click noise in the past. Have your dealer replace the clockspring and I'll bet the noise will disappear.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Does anyone know if Wixom is back up and running today 3/20? My Bird is scheduled to be built the week of 3/25 and I wonder if the delay will push it back any. Any word from Wixom Pooh or anyone else at Wixom would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

TBirdMarty, Your car has been delayed until
November. You should probably trade places with me. Just a friendly offer.

------------------
blue/blue/full blue/premium on order: 10 of 18

Hi All

I can tell you that we are running approximately 140 TBirds a day (both shifts) in the paint department.

I heard that our new plant manager is extremely picky on quality and won't release cars unless he is satisfied. That may explain why there are soooooo many thunderbirds sitting in the holding lots at the plant.

I haven't heard about the hard top issue- but do know that many of you who have your birds were not satisfied with the paint on it.

Will see if I can find out more tonite.

joelga;

OUCH!!! You really know how to hurt a guy. Have you heard anything on your VIN?

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

Do you have any information on VIN# 114304?

Iwas told that the "build date" was the week of 3/25/02. Does that mean it will start down the line during that time? or that it will be complete at that time?

The computer estimates the build week based on the current schedule. If the plant doesn't have any stoppages, then the unit will be completed that week. The tbirds spend one day in the body shop, one day in the paint department and finally, one day going down the assembly line which is where I can check their VIN numbers. When I see one of the forum members tbirds, I try to post the info.

They seem to build higher VIN numbers at the start of the week than the end of the week? About a hundred 114000s have been built this week so I expect your 114304 any day now.

Redbird
I sure wish I could find out what happened to my blue bird (12778). It came off final Friday night 3/8. On the following Tuesday 3/12 David Davis told me it was held to change the front facier. A week later on 3/18 he told me it was still there (see top of this thread). I called him this past Wednesday but he hasn't returned the call yet. Calling my dealer is like calling the IRS asking about your refund check.

Thanks for any light you can shed, dying on the vine.......
frown.gif

------------------
Charlie
Blue/Blue Premium w/full accent
Built but not delivered
VIN 12778

-

I just spoke with my dealer in Monroe, Michigan. He said that my Bird hadn't arrived yet, but a Yellow one was delivered today. He said that this one was scheduled to arrive just before mine and is expecting mine within a couple days...Slyfoxxmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back