T-bird in Consumer Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
K
Associated Press Newswires 05/07/02
author: Ed Garsten
Copyright 2001. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

DETROIT (AP) - The latest incarnation of the Ford Thunderbird offers a nice relaxed ride, but that wasn't enough to outscore four competitors in performance tests by Consumer Reports automotive engineers.

The Thunderbird was pitted against the Chevrolet Corvette, Porsche Boxster, Mercedes-Benz SLK 320 and Audi TT. The full results will be published in the June edition of Consumer Reports magazine, which goes on sale May 14.

Aside from all being roadsters, the only characteristics the cars had in common were their price range - $40,000-$55,000 - and the fact that they all scored fairly high for design and handling.

The Corvette and Boxster were tied for the top spot in the performance tests, both earning
"excellent" scores. But only the SLK 320 was recommended by the magazine because it
performed well in the tests and is expected to have at least average reliability based on reader surveys. The Thunderbird is too new to predict its reliability, the magazine said.

The judges also liked the SLK's flexibility, giving it a "very good" rating.

"It was the best of both worlds with a retractable hard top, the civility of a coupe and the availability of having the top down," said David Champion, director of Consumer Reports' auto test facility in East Haddam, Conn.

Where the T-bird fell short was in its relative gentility and design shortcomings.

"It's not a sports car in the true sense of the word. It's a very relaxed cruiser." Champion said. "The disappointment was with the interior space. If you're 6 feet or above, it's very difficult to get in," he said.

Nevertheless, the Thunderbird earned a "very good" score.

Thunderbird marketing director Robert Fesmire pointed out the car did well in the performance tests and was built to be a little more sedate than the others that were tested.

"The competitors in this test are sports cars, and the Thunderbird is not a sports car. It was never positioned as such," Fesmire said. "It is clearly positioned to be about relaxed
sportiness."

Ford has limited annual production of the Thunderbird to 25,000 units to retain its cache, creating a backlog of orders, Fesmire said.

"It's the best sales ever for a new Thunderbird," he said.

The Audi TT was rated "very good" but it, along with the Corvette and Boxster, was not
recommended because of worse-than-average reliability, the magazine said.

------------------
Ron

VIN #7729, seq. #7505
partial blue premium, no top

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Some people just don't get it.

Plus they chose a Premium. Did they do an astetics upgrade on any of the other cars they tested?

BTW - where was the Sebring and the BMW Z3?

Ok, so is this how I read this for this apples and oranges test?

They recommend the SLK because it has a production history. They do not recommend the Boxter, Corvette and TT because they're not reliable. TBird - unclear as to recommended or not, but I'll assume not due to its really not a sports car and it has no repair history (although the LS does).

I think based on American reliability, cost to repair, purchase price, insurance costs and curb appeal we (TBird owners) WIN.

I think I'll run up the road a bit to Seymour Johnson AFB and see if I can get them to agree to having one of their F-15 Strike Eagles tested against the Wright Brothers flyer as part of the Centennial Celebration of the First Flight at Kitty Hawk. Should be fair---they're both airplanes, right?

What next???

I know: We should compare Thunderbird to the Chevy Ventur Van and the Chrysler Town and Country. I wonder how it will fare against them for best Soccer Mom machine.
Or maybe it might do better if compared to the Hummer or Jeep Grand Cherokee in the SUV catagory.
There are some people who will never "get it". I have a radical new comcept. How about if these so called experts compare the Thunderbird to what Ford claims it to be and the market they were trying to target? I for one do not need Consumer Reports doing my comparision shopping for me.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

eek.gif
I subscribe to Consumers Reports, have for years. They do a good job IF you are buying a toaster or a new washing machine but they know nothing about cars. For years they have put down American cars just because they are made in America, at least that is my opinion. They seem to like just about anything that is made overseas. I do use their testing for appliances, but how can a mag that does testing on a stove do a good and informed job on automobiles.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

-

Typical response from people who don't know cars. Like most magazines "If it was built anywhere but the USA it must be better the an American Car. I've about had it with that attitude. They should stop snubbing American Cars or we should stop reading their magazines. We know what a great car the T-bird is, and that is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back