Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone changed the stock springs for ones that will lower the car an inch or so,ie: Eibach springs. Love the car and would like to show a little less wheel well.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Eibach Springs

Hi,

I just installed a set of Eibach springs with Lincolon LS sport struts to my 02 Bird. It worked out well, lowered the car 1.75" in the front 1.6" in the rear. The car rides and handles better than stock, is far more controlled at speed and does not ride hard or harsh. There is a caster /n after market camber bolt kit required to keep the Alingment in spec. I am going to install the kit next week. Also the car appears to look slight lower in the rear than front, much like the factory set up looks, just less fender well gap in the rear than front. I am machining some custom springs seats to raise the rear .5". That should give it the right look. I will keep you advised if you want. One thing I would like to add is a stut tower brace. Any ideas who makes an aftermarket one? When I have it all sorted I will post everything with some pics. Hope this helps

Garrett

Re: Eibach Springs

Glad to hear it worked well. Who did the work? Ford agency or independent shop. Did the shocks fit as standard did? Did you do both at one at a time or together.

I did the install myself, had an indepentdant shop perform 4 wheel alignment. The 1/2" plates in the rear worked out very well and the fender gap is now even front to rear. I'm thinking about packaging a kit that includes the springs, shocks, cams, & plates cost would be around $850 less shipping. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, handeling is much improved, ride is about 15 -20% stiffer. Hope this helps

Garrettg
How about posting a picture for all to see?

lowered T- bird Pics

Pictures of the finished product. The car now has even fenderwell gap front to rear, approx. 1.5" I'm very pleased with the results. The Eibach springs lower the car too much in the rear! So low the car bottomed on the slightest driveway approach, etc., and it just looked wrong. The 1/2" rear spring plates I made worked out perfectly. Installing a Camber/Caster cam kit is a must to keep the alignment in spec. My friend failed to install the kit and the inside of his front tires are badly worn at 5,000 miles. I have put almost 3,000 miles on the car since I lowered it and everything has worked out well so far. I would be interested to hear any feedback or gauge the clubs interest on a complete kit.
The Kit would include: Springs, two sets of rear plates 1/2" and 1/4" to raise the rear, Cam kit F/R and (4) 2003 LS sport struts.

Cost would be $875 less shipping.

I hope this info helps anyone who is on the fence about lowering their T-Bird. The roads where I live in northern California are rough and not well maintained. The ride is acceptable but as I stated 15 - 20% firmer. A strut tower brace would be a nice addition, anyone know who makes one?

Attachments

• tbird 1.jpg
    tbird 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 187
Thanks Garrett for posting those. It's a nice look

I did some research on the LS and Thunderbird forums. The 03 LS v8 Sport has a much improved sport package and ride so I figured it would be a good match to the Eibach springs. So far they seem well matched. The camber/caster cams are installed as factory parts on the S type Jag which has the same suspension as the LS and T-Bird. I drove a stock car tonight and let the another owner drive mine. We both agreed my car rides and drives better overall. It feels far tighter and controlled at high speeds, corners much flatter and actually rides pretty close to stock now that the springs have softened up a little. The steering feels more solid and has a better straight line feel as well.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by garrettg
I did some research on the LS and Thunderbird forums. The 03 LS v8 Sport has a much improved sport package and ride so I figured it would be a good match to the Eibach springs. So far they seem well matched. The camber/caster cams are installed as factory parts on the S type Jag which has the same suspension as the LS and T-Bird. I drove a stock car tonight and let the another owner drive mine. We both agreed my car rides and drives better overall. It feels far tighter and controlled at high speeds, corners much flatter and actually rides pretty close to stock now that the springs have softened up a little. The steering feels more solid and has a better straight line feel as well.

Hope this helps

Excellant. Do you use the Stock T-Bird bump stop or used th e complete LS shock /bump stops?

Thnaks

2005 lower spring isolators/spring seat

Does anyone no the part number of the lower spring isolator??
I have new top mounts..complete kit..but can not find the lowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back