Strange Microphone - 2003

L

LightningFowl

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone,

When I bought my Thunderbird, I noticed this strange microphone looking device near the windshield, upwards and left if sitting in the drivers seat. It seems to be wired underneath the rubber there. I’ve attached a picture.
Any insight about its purpose, and more so about how to use it, would be greatly appreciated. 56C0E014-1F1C-42EC-B600-A9E7DEDB57E4.jpeg

Looks like it belongs to some sort of aftermarket hands-free device. I’d remove it.

Hello everyone,

When I bought my Thunderbird, I noticed this strange microphone looking device near the windshield, upwards and left if sitting in the drivers seat. It seems to be wired underneath the rubber there. I’ve attached a picture.
Any insight about its purpose, and more so about how to use it, would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 17255
I bought an Alpine Aftermarket Radio for my '93 Towncar from Best-Buy and it had wi-fi and Bluetooth. The microphone for the bluetooth is mounted in the same place and looks exactly the same. I'd say you have and aftermarket radio w/ bluetooth or it previously had it and someone replaced the original radio without taking the mike out. If it is a Bluetooth radio you can program it to your phone and answer it without handling your phone in your car. They work just fine. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.................J&D

I wish I had a Bluetooth system. My radio appears stock, any way that I could be missing an indicator that I have Bluetooth?

Right. I meant, since there is this strange microphone which was likely part of a hands free system, is there anything else to look for which would indicate the system is Bluetooth and/or in tact. Nothing looks out of ordinary besides the microphone to me.

I wish I had a Bluetooth system. My radio appears stock, any way that I could be missing an indicator that I have Bluetooth?
Wishes can come true. Obviously in 2002 cars like this didn't have Bluetooth.

If car has the stock radio a previous owner must have had an upgraded hands free set which he removed and forgot the microphone. Many aftermarket sets have external microphones and USB connectors.

Cool, that seems like the most plausibel situation. The mic wire is sort of tucked into the hard plastic along the windshield interior and the mic itself is glued on! I may just leave it, so that I don’t accidentally cause damage.

Back