Stop The Presses!! Ford Lowers The Axe! | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Stop The Presses!! Ford Lowers The Axe!

• Thread starter Thread starter 02 TBRD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

HISTORY REPEATING ITSELF

THECARCONNECTION.COM is confirming reports of the current Thunderbird's impending demise on its website. They are reporting that inside sources at Ford are reporting that the current car will end production sometime mid-decade. The insiders are also reporting that a NEW Thunderbird is being quietly worked on with heavy influences from the 1961 THUNDERBIRD![/B] No complaints here if that's true. I'm as big a fan of the '61 as I am of the '55.

NOTE TO FORD IF ANYONE IS READING THIS: It is my opinion that it would be a class act to make a special run of the current car commemorating the marque's 50th anniversary in 2005. I would then end the body style with that limited run of cars. Anybody else agree with this?

It was my understanding that the current model would end in 2005. The last year would have a supercharged Bird. This is a marque automobile and was produced for promotional purposes only. I'm not saying that Ford has not made a profit on this series but I don't think that they ever had a long production run in mind.
The DEW chasis allows for many different designs and I expect that more new models will be designed around it. Isn't nice to know that we had the foresight to purchase a modern day classic?

I think what we are dealing with here is martking. As the Bird's sales have slowed down, Ford may be using the already planned discontinuence (we knew it was a 3 or 4 year run from the start of production in 2001) as a ploy to spur sales. First we all bought them because they were a new design and now maybe people will buy them because they realize the current modle will be ending. I feel the fewer made the better for us. I don't want a car that you see every time you turn a corner, (like BMWs or Benzes). People like to kick a guy when they think he is on the way down. We should use the old Packard line " Ask the man (or woman) who owns one". This is one great car, for looks and fun factor. So to all the nay sayers, We'll still have fun, fun,fun even after Ford takes the T-Bird away, and they can make up as many excuses as they want that they don't have one, but they don't know what they are missing.

🙂

I agree, this should not be news to those in the know. Five-year run planned all along. I think some people were hopeful it would last longer, but there just isn't a big enough market out there to keep the current two-seater going. Lagging sales proves this. I also believe Ford should end the current run with SOME special anniversary editions [not just one like NM and 007] in the 2005 model year, maybe some special colors like metallic silver and gold, with special interior accent packages.

Last edited by a moderator:
psychology

I agree, anyone into marketing a product will use every manipulative tool at their disposal to positively influence their market share. Every market strategy is a multiple equation and some of those equations are difficult if not impossible to control, like a rotten economic downturn.

For those of us who don't want to see the market flooded with this classic beauty, this is a positive outcome to an unfortunate situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back