Steering column problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have less than 2500 mile on my bird and have had to have 3 steering columns replaced. There was a design change to correct the problem I believe in March of this year but I still have the problem and the dealer and Ford are not being very cooperative. Any solutions????

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

JM, this is interesting. What are the symptoms you've been experiencing? I haven't heard of anyone with such a problem yet, and I've been following the board for a long time.

-- Paula

If you sit in your car and hold your steering wheel firmly then try to move it side to side or up and down. You may find that it seems very loose. Ford did make a change and I still have the problem. Call me if you like and I can discuss the problem in more detail. 503-228-0272 and ask for John.

JT

John, I too have had this problem. I took my bird to the dealer and showed the problem to the service writer, he saw the "slop". Mechanic checked it out said he could not find anything wrong - so service manager went for a ride in it with me. No slop or loose feel at all!!. Mechanic said he had done nothing to repair it. We were all baffled by this, service writer told the service manager it was there he felt it.I have not had it repeat again in the last 1,000 miles, go figure. It is on record with the dealer. Maybe by resetting steering wheel to different positions fixed it. Mike

I'm happy that your problem stopped. Mine has not it has gotten worse as time goes on. Ford told the dealership that a change was made to the steering wheels early this year and that the problem existed with Jags and Lincolns also. It is very frustrating, I wish that your solution wored for me.

John

If I hold my steering wheel and rock it left and right (side-to-side) it does move a little. Up/down is solid. I notice the small side-to-side rocking when I am driving and going around corners. Told my dealer about it and he said it was in the design and could not be "tightened". The problem is annoying but not a big deal -- there is no chance I would risk introducing new problems by getting the steering column replaced or whatever. At some point I will take it to another dealer to see if there is a simple adjustment that can be made. Until then, I'm not going to worry about it.

JM, this is interesting. What are the symptoms you've been experiencing? I haven't heard of anyone with such a problem yet, and I've been following the board for a long time.

-- Paula
I have replaced the whole steering column in 2009@ a cost of $900! I am looking for a more economical solution.Because it needs repaired/replaced again. Can anyone suggest a remedy?

T Bird bearings.jpg There are plenty of steering columns available from junk yards. If your column is loose, most
likely the ball bearings that keep it firm but allow it to telescope in and out have come out
of there plastic carrier. I would order a used column and move the ball bearings over to your
steering column. Not hard to do. A good used column is about $90 plus $20 shipping.
Here is a photo showing the bearings on my steering column that I took apart to replace
the sensor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back