Stearing Column Noise | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Stearing Column Noise

• Thread starter Thread starter denniskoc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D
2005 Bird w/5800 miles never driven hard. Midwest. Stearing column noise thought to be cold weather related but not. On start up auto adjusting to last position makes noise. Turning makes noise and I can feel as well as hear some rub or groan. Ford dealer says try WD40. Tried a little reluctlantly some improvement. Lincoln dealer says they would use visi lube?? Could be power stearing problem with vibration moving up the column. I think not. Anybody
have this problem? Think the Lincoln dealer might have more experience with the LS retro bird but I don't like this dealer much.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

steering noise

there is a TSB (article no 04-10-1) that deals with that send me your email address, and I will send it on to you
Jim Young ( jyoung@********* )

its a problem for 03-04 T-Birds, 03-04 LS, and aviators.

Steering noise

I had the rack and pinion replaced in my car soon after I bought it in Sept 2003. Have not had any problems until recently I noticed a groaning sound when turning. We have had it in the shop and the service rep said they replaced a rod and rubber bushing or something. It still has a noise sometimes. I thought it was the power steering fluid too but mine showed to be at the proper level. What kind of lubricant did they add to the power steering fluid to fix your car?

Lubricant

I really do not know what they used. I wouldn't think there were too many options for lubricants that work in power steering fluid.

They told me there was a TSB on this problem, and it recommended using a lubricant. I have heard a slight noise every now and then, but it is mostly gone. Before they added the lubricant, it was fairly loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back