Starting a 1961 Thunderbird project | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Starting a 1961 Thunderbird project

• Thread starter Thread starter JPinOC
  • Start date Start date
JPinOC
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself as well as ask for some advice. I have a 1961 thunderbird that has been sitting for many years that I want to get running and be a fun weekend cruiser. I'm not all that handy and will be farming out the work as needed to have things done on it. I'm in SoCal so Larry's isn't too far away and can get most parts i'll need from there. If anyone has any other suggestions for parts I'm all ears. I have the car in the shop now getting a tune up, breaks checked and such, and waiting to hear the laundry list of things i'm expecting the mechanic to tell me it needs. What I'm wondering, is how I can verse myself on what things should cost? I'm not super flush with cash, so I'll be trying to do this on a budget as I have extra money to put into it. I'd love any and all input and I plan to document the process via pics and video (maybe youtube) along the way. Look forward to your comments! ~Cheers

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Depending on the condition of the car if it needs body/structure works but mechanically I'd start with the basics such as:
Engine check, fluids change and filters. Drive belts.
Transmission, check fluid condition and level. Consider fluid/filter change.
Brakes, strip each hub and check/replace shoes and cylinders not forgetting the rubber flexi hoses. Whilst there you can check wheel bearings.
Steel brake lines visual check/replace if required. Master cylinder check, booster check and test.
Steering joints, ball joints and any suspension bushings including engine, transmission mounts and rear spring hangers.
Rubber fuel lines/hoses and filters.
Fuel tank, check it may need flushing out - don't forget the fuel line front to back.
Exhaust, check for holes and mounting rubbers/brackets.

When I brought mine, most rubber items had perished so a complete suspension/steering bushings, ball joints kit was purchased. I then used rockauto.com for the engine service stuff and brake parts. Replaced all the brake lines and master cylinder which I upgraded to a dual type using a universal booster.

Is that enough for now? Happy New Year!

Depending on the condition of the car if it needs body/structure works but mechanically I'd start with the basics such as:
Engine check, fluids change and filters. Drive belts.
Transmission, check fluid condition and level. Consider fluid/filter change.
Brakes, strip each hub and check/replace shoes and cylinders not forgetting the rubber flexi hoses. Whilst there you can check wheel bearings.
Steel brake lines visual check/replace if required. Master cylinder check, booster check and test.
Steering joints, ball joints and any suspension bushings including engine, transmission mounts and rear spring hangers.
Rubber fuel lines/hoses and filters.
Fuel tank, check it may need flushing out - don't forget the fuel line front to back.
Exhaust, check for holes and mounting rubbers/brackets.

When I brought mine, most rubber items had perished so a complete suspension/steering bushings, ball joints kit was purchased. I then used rockauto.com for the engine service stuff and brake parts. Replaced all the brake lines and master cylinder which I upgraded to a dual type using a universal booster.

Is that enough for now? Happy New Year!

Awesome, thank you for all this info!!! I remember hearing rockauto referenced on a motortrend show recently and need to check them out. Your list will help definitely help me when talking to the shop it's at and tackling each item one by one. Any advice on how to know if the prices I'm being quoted are reasonable?

Get two or three quotes from local shops to verify how you are being charged.
Or purchase a shop manual and learn to work on it yourself. These cars are not difficult to work on or understand. Lots of great advice is available here!

Awesome, thank you for all this info!!! I remember hearing rockauto referenced on a motortrend show recently and need to check them out. Your list will help definitely help me when talking to the shop it's at and tackling each item one by one. Any advice on how to know if the prices I'm being quoted are reasonable?
Rock auto is pretty cheap, I’m in the UK so crazy pricing so don’t ask me!

I agree Hadderz & Bond but I suggest just change all fluids, complete flush on the transmission. That way its all fresh. The brakes are horrible on these cars, so close inspection of the system is advised along with an upgrade to improve the system when you can

I rebuilt the engine to my 61 a couple of years ago and changed the front brakes to disc. I got parts from larrys and also Mac's as they have a section dedicated to tbirds as well. Going to start on the interior next. Good luck!

I rebuilt the engine to my 61 a couple of years ago and changed the front brakes to disc. I got parts from larrys and also Mac's as they have a section dedicated to tbirds as well. Going to start on the interior next. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip on the brakes I'll look in to larrys and Macs and also wildwood. Are you going with the stock upholstry or making it different?

Thanks for the tip on the brakes I'll look in to larrys and Macs and also wildwood. Are you going with the stock upholstry or making it different?
Mark, I think I am going to go custom. I still want it to look like it came from that era, but with a little pizazz.

Me too on the interior pizazz. That worries me because I dont have a plan for the interior at this point and I'm thinking the dash should be installed early on the restoration. Seems like once its installed then hard to make any changes to it. My car was black and white interior but Im leaning towards a red or actually a deeper red and white and connect that with a deeper red top. The black and white interior seemed boring/plane jane to me. I want to add some richness to it, retaining the era of the car. No car showes these days so short on ideas.

My t-bird is off white with beige interior. I was thinking that adding some red to the seats, maybe red carpeting and some red accents would make it not so boring. So long as it doesn't look like I replaced those parts and that was the only color available.

Back