1955 Clicking Sound, No Crank

55yellowbirdusa

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 1955 Ford Thunderbird and could use some advice. When I try to start the car, I hear a constant clicking sound, almost like an electrical shock (click, click, click), but the engine doesn't crank at all. I've tried to diagnose the problem myself, but I'd appreciate some input from the community. Here's what I've observed so far:

• The clicking sound occurs whenever I attempt to start the car
  • The engine doesn't receive any power and won't crank
  • The issue appears to be electrical in nature
Based on this information, I've considered a few possible causes, such as a weak or dead battery, corroded or loose battery terminals, a faulty starter motor or solenoid, or damaged wiring. Before I start checking or replacing components, I wanted to see if anyone here has experienced a similar issue or has any additional suggestions on what could be causing this problem.

Any advice on how to further diagnose and resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
View attachment IMG_0617.mov

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 1955 Ford Thunderbird and could use some advice. When I try to start the car, I hear a constant clicking sound, almost like an electrical shock (click, click, click), but the engine doesn't crank at all. I've tried to diagnose the problem myself, but I'd appreciate some input from the community. Here's what I've observed so far:

• The clicking sound occurs whenever I attempt to start the car
  • The engine doesn't receive any power and won't crank
  • The issue appears to be electrical in nature
Based on this information, I've considered a few possible causes, such as a weak or dead battery, corroded or loose battery terminals, a faulty starter motor or solenoid, or damaged wiring. Before I start checking or replacing components, I wanted to see if anyone here has experienced a similar issue or has any additional suggestions on what could be causing this problem.

Any advice on how to further diagnose and resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
Most likely a weak battery, the clicking sound is usually the starter solenoid engaging and then dropping out when the starter motor tries to turn and pulls the voltage level down to where the solenoid doesn't have enough power to engage. When this happens power to the motor is cutoff giving the solenoid enough power to engage again. A vicious circle. Use a volt meter to check voltage level of the battery. I don't know if you 55 still has a 6 volt system or has been upgraded to 12 volts. My 56 will do the same thing if the battery is down around 10 volts.

First measure the battery voltage It should be around 12.6v. If it is not then charge the battery. Next measure the battery voltage while try to crank the engine. It should be around 12.2 V or higher. If not you have a weak battery or a very poor ground or battery connection.

First measure the battery voltage It should be around 12.6v. If it is not then charge the battery. Next measure the battery voltage while try to crank the engine. It should be around 12.2 V or higher. If not you have a weak battery or a very poor ground or battery connection.
55yellowbirdusa, don't overlook the ground / negative battery cable connection on the engine block or the engine to firewall ground wire.
battery ground.jpg55-56 body firewall ground cable.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Begin with free simple things
Check cables (from battery to gnd, solenoid and from solenoid to starter) for exposed wires at the ends and separation of said wires (will cause a voltage drop)
Remove cables and clean up the all connections
If problem persists
Have battery capacity tested
If ok
Solenoid could have dirty or corroded internal contacts
or
Starter could be bad
you can remove it and test it using a battery and jumper cables

Guess I'm with @CSPIDY, start with the simple stuff. How old is the battery? You have a battery charger? Is there water in the battery? I had the same thing happen on my newer Mustang just yesterday. Just clicking noise. Car ran fine 2 weeks ago. Electrolyte was low, topped off w/ distilled water and put it on a 10A charger for half hour and started right up. Confirmed no lights or fans were on. Drove for about 20 minutes to recharge the battery, turned car off. I came back less than 30 minutes later to start it again - same clicking noise. Classic signs of bad battery.
In your case - if it does not start right up after the 10A charge, go through the tests above from others. If it does start up, drive it for 20 - 30 minutes to top off the charge. Then let it sit for an hour or so and go try to start it again. if clicking returns it is likely a bad battery.

Guess I'm with @CSPIDY, start with the simple stuff. How old is the battery? You have a battery charger? Is there water in the battery? I had the same thing happen on my newer Mustang just yesterday. Just clicking noise. Car ran fine 2 weeks ago. Electrolyte was low, topped off w/ distilled water and put it on a 10A charger for half hour and started right up. Confirmed no lights or fans were on. Drove for about 20 minutes to recharge the battery, turned car off. I came back less than 30 minutes later to start it again - same clicking noise. Classic signs of bad battery.
In your case - if it does not start right up after the 10A charge, go through the tests above from others. If it does start up, drive it for 20 - 30 minutes to top off the charge. Then let it sit for an hour or so and go try to start it again. if clicking returns it is likely a bad battery.
Right on the mark. Remember to not check the voltage right off the charger. The battery will have a surface charge that makes it look like it is charged. Check it after a few hours just sitting. All it takes is just one cell to go haywire heat or cold will also put a real strain on it. My lawnmower starting battery just did that after a brutal winter.

Stupid trick....as everyone said...check battery first.
The brushes in starter can be bad.
Tap stArter w broom handle or lightly tap a few time w mallet. That will loosen the brushes in the starter and a£ow it to turn.
Its only a temp fix.
Get starter rebuilt soon.

If it's not the battery, it's likely the solenoid. They;'re cheap as dirt and very quick to change out. Just buy one and throw it in. I think you will be driving this afternoon!s

Jeff

Back