Spare Tire replacement for 2002-2005

Thunderbird Year
Thanks for all the info I looked at my 2005 and the tire date was 1104. I just bought the car and am new to this forum

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The US site has them back in stock as of 8/3/2020-

Mach5

2004 Merlot
Thunderbird Year
Cover fit back in place as it should
In early March, pre Covid, my mechanic had an excellent, lightly used 205/55/17 in his shop. Mounted easily on the OEM spare rim and fits perfectly under the cover, no problem. I like having a "normal" pressure, non-exploding spare in my trunk. (I hope I never have to use it.)

WesTxStoner425

2004 Platinum over Sand interior
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know if a deflated full-size tire will fit in the trunk WITH the original trunk liner, or is the rim height too tall? Wondering about just keeping a full size deflated spare, then inflating when needed, IF it fits normally. The spare costs more than a full-size tire, cheaper to buy a 5th matching tire. The rim will cost more, naturally, but there's a certain appeal to having 5 matching tires.

Thunderbird Year
In early March, pre Covid, my mechanic had an excellent, lightly used 205/55/17 in his shop. Mounted easily on the OEM spare rim and fits perfectly under the cover, no problem. I like having a "normal" pressure, non-exploding spare in my trunk. (I hope I never have to use it.)
This sounds like a less expensive alternative than the MAXXIS @ $234 from Canada. Has anyone else tried this approach?

Thunderbird Year
If you want a compact spare, rhwn yes they aren't cheap; if your current spare is the originak remove it and let all the air out; they've been known to actually explode in the trunk. You are better off with no spare and some Fix-A-Flat vs an old, original deteriorated spare.
I "sucked it up" and bought a pricey Maxxis compact spare - one of the few that fit both the car and the spare tire well for retro birds.

I have had a couple (maybe 3 times) when my 2002 wouldn't start, cranked but wouldn't fire up. I used my OBDC scanner to clear
some codes and it started up both times.... I should have been more diligent and recorded the codes but I will next time. Strangely,
it hasn't reoccured since I keep the car on a battery maintainer full time - these cars seem to be very sensitive to proper battery voltage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird Year
Thank you for the information you're absolutely correct I was surprised the tire as I pulled it out was brand new but had a huge hole in it like it blew up I couldn't understand why? The vehicle is at Tire Kingdom now hopefully they'll do a scan of the computer and figure out the starting issue they probably will search for a spare tire but I will remember to let air out of it thank you for the help

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't understand why?
Maybe because the tire is 20 years old?
The vehicle is at Tire Kingdom now hopefully they'll do a scan of the computer and figure out the starting issue they probably will search for a spare tire but I will remember to let air out of it thank you for the help
You will need to get the tire from Maxxis. The local tire store isn't going to have that size.

doug7740

Thunderbird Year
I purchased my spare tire from Maxxis right after one of my club members spare tire exploded after he closed the trunk. I agree with biddle that its the age of the tire, but I also think that since it sits right next to the battery that might be a factor. Make sure that the external vent tube is attached to your battery, so the fumes from the battery don't effect the spare tire.

doug7740
1955 thunderbird Blue

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I agree with biddle that its the age of the tire, but I also think that since it sits right next to the battery that might be a factor.

doug7740
1955 thunderbird Blue
Not to mention the tire is 60PSI as well.