Soft Top Attachment | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Soft Top Attachment

• Thread starter Thread starter robf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Today I removed the the hard top for the first time on my 2005 TBird convertible. I'm having difficulty attaching the soft top to the front of the car.
The top properly comes up but can't figure out how to attach
Can someone please share the proper technique to do this?

Thanks.
Rob

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm looking forward to this too. Sitting in the direct sun should help.

But I still can't force myself to remove that wonderful looking hardtop. These hardtops could win the Miss America Contest. Fred

Hi Rob:
A sunny day helps if the top hasn't been up in a while. First, be sure you're in 'park'. Then if you raise it 3/4 of the way up in the sun it will help it stretch.
The key needs to be in RUN/ACC position. Personally, I suggest that you have the car running. Then push the up button. When the top is almost to the header, grab the handle in the center of the tops header, push its button and pull the handle down. This will open both top clamps (they look like J hooks), on either side, before the top meets the windshield header.
Now, resume pushing the top switch (up button) until the top reaches the fully closed position on the windshield header.
The two J hooks on the top should be closely positioned under their matching holes on either side.
To fasten both securely, push the (J hook) clamp handles into the header until they are flush with the header. Pulling down on the center handle while closing the latches may help in fastening the clamps.
When top is securely down, push the center handle back up, so it locks into position and you're good to go.

When you do this once, it become real easy –let me know how you do, and happy driving

Thanks Rob. That's why we're all here, to share info and help one another- Happy 4th of July 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back