Saw Steam From The Hood Yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rt2esq

Au Revoir
Last seen
I let a bone head friend rip my bird around the block and then drove it for a few miles afterward. As a pulled into a parking lot, I saw steam rising out the front right side, should I be concerned???

My gauge was at the half point and it didn't move a bit. Drove the car home and didn't experience it again.

Should I have the dealer check this out before I have what happened to jodrod???

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

Originally posted by rt2esq:
I let a bone head friend rip my bird around the block and then drove it for a few miles afterward. As a pulled into a parking lot, I saw steam rising out the front right side, should I be concerned???

My gauge was at the half point and it didn't move a bit. Drove the car home and didn't experience it again.

Should I have the dealer check this out before I have what happened to jodrod???

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

You should have looked under the hood to see where it was coming from. Steam can come from various liquids coming in contact with the engine or other hot parts.

TBird

I did look under the hood as soon as I parked. I didn't notice anything leaking or anything coming out from the bottom of the engine to the floor.

In any event, I took F89f102's advice and took it into the dealer yesterday. Told them to replace the defective part and give my cooling system a complete work over. I didn't give them a choice.

Since my bird was #1049, I think I made it out before my cooling system was fixed. However, I have already put 4,000 miles on my bird so I figured mine was in that 20% batch that wasn't defective.

Anyway, I plan to post the part numbers and the work done for those of you in my position. You might want to have the work done preventively so that you don't get stuck somewhere or worry that you might get stuck somewhere.

Happy New Year

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

They are replacing the fan module even though they could not find any problems with the car while they had it. I'll post with the details.

RT2ESQ
Triple Black #1049

rt2esq,

My problem seemed to be intermittent but fortunately when I took it to the dealer the problem had reoccured. I drove about 6 or so miles after it first occurred and before it happened again.

The overflow tank is located right in front of the driver on the firewall but I think that the fan pump is located in front of the engine on the passenger side.

Anyway, hopefully replacing the module will end your problem. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back