Satellite radio for 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Ucla81

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all, I am still looking for the kit for my 2004. The kind that work through the 'sat' button without wires or mechanical stuff showing at/under the dash. A small satellite antenna on dash OK. I can not find the original OEM kit. A company "Terk" has one, but says 2005-2006 Thunderbirds with the 'sat' button. (There were no 2006 buttons!). I want to keep this simple, use satellite radio with the 'sat' button, without wires and boxes all over the place. HELP!!!! Thanks much all......

Just dug out the receipt. I installed the setup you are looking for several years ago in my 2004 with the SAT button. The part number was 4059169 for the tuner and the phase II connector wiring harness was 2U6F-14588-BA. I put the antenna on top of the radio behind the dash and below the vents. A few signal drop outs here and there but well worth not having the antenna visible. Let me know if this helps and if I can provide any other info.
sirius_phase_2_kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heya 3rd Brd,

You were right on. I got that kit ($325), had a 10-yr experienced guy at Best Buy install it. Works like a charm. While in Satellite, I can push the tune button and toggle between Sat and Aux. That kit came with a thing that I can plug my iPhone into. The wire is under the seat, except for about 10" that comes up between the passenger seat and the center console (so the iPod can sit in a cup holder. The small wire easily tucks away when not in use.

So I got satellite radio now, using that "sat" button. Thanks so much for your help..

Now, That's what the Forum is all about. Thanks for posting a very clear question about the issue and John for a clear and detailed response:)
I'm sure this may help others as well!

Last edited:
Soooooo, I’m going to pick up my first Thunderbird on Friday, a 2004. I called Sirius/XM to inquire about current subscription pricing. The gentleman asked if I happened to have the VIN. When I gave him the VIN he said “I don’t believe that vehicle has satellite”!!! You know what happens when you “assume”. When I see the SAT button next to the AM FM buttons on the dash pictures I “ assumed” satellite radio was available! Why would Ford put the SAT button there if it’s not on the car!!! Fuming! Very disappointed.

As info... SiriusXM is currently offering $60 for 1 year ($5mo + Tax) with the $15 activation fee wavered. Cancel any time, etc. A fine offering unless you have a lifetime subscription. ( eMail received an hour ago)
Our antenna is at the right corner of the dash, next to windshield (2004 Pacific Coast). Works well with wires not visible (snaked) behind glove box/dash along with the radio harness wires placed through the center console to the “Sirius” unit located in the center console behind glove box. Tight and warm; but, has been performing well with either top in place... Folks like either the 50’s, 60’s, Elvis, and Beach Boys coming to channel 4 shortly.
Enjoy...

My used 2004 came with a satellite unit in the trunk, a box, and an antenna glued to the trunk lid. Wires go to the radio, I presume. Don't know if it works. I have no interest. Could be talked out of it ea$ily

How about if I pay shipping to Ohio? I would then take to radio installer and see if it would work.

Greg

Isn’t a auxiliary “in” port required for this to work?

The one I have is a box in the trunk with a pair of wires going forward, I presume to connect to the radio. ?? There is a SAT button on the radio, so it must have provision. When I press the SAT button it says Service Required - I do not have a contract.

Last edited:

No Aux port required on this type of unit.
It transmits FM frequencies which you can select one via a radio (in this case the car radio tuned to a “clean FM frequency that matches). The same Sirius XM module also has a home dock offering, hence, it can be shifted inside the home and transmit via a home radio or larger audio system. The antenna lead is normally long enough to be placed by a window or snaked outside the home. Some folks just shift the small unit and have two antenna units, auto and home. Many options. There are also portable radio docks available. This $15 + tx unit plus $60 1st year subscription (current special) might be fun to play with. Many othe expensive options are also available.

The TB SAT Button is for a “solid or permanent” car unit which can be located under the rear of center console or trunk or... The antenna is also connected to this unit as well as harnessed wires snaked to the rear of the TB’s Radio for power and SAT Button pick up. The SAT Button then then enables the station buttons where presets work well, etc.

Here is the kit I put in my 2004. It takes less than 10 minutes to get your radio out. Then hook everything up, mount the receiver and put back together. Should be a 30 minute job. You have to pull your radio first to see what color plugs you have. This is for the gray color. They also have another one for the black plugs.

http://oem-auto-accessory.com/factory_ford_sirius_radio_kit_.html

As info, this is the same Brand/Unit (Visteon) we have had in our ‘04 Pacific Coast TB since new. Still performs well as of today. Enjoy!

Just dug out the receipt. I installed the setup you are looking for several years ago in my 2004 with the SAT button. I purchased the unit from a company called Radios and More in East Syracuse, NY. The part number was 4059169 for the tuner and the phase II connector wiring harness was 2U6F-14588-BA. I put the antenna on top of the radio behind the dash and below the vents. A few signal drop outs here and there but well worth not having the antenna visible. Let me know if this helps and if I can provide any other info.

Where did you install the larger siriusxm module from that kit....looks OEM but am at a loss as to where it factory mounted....

I don't know where the factory put it. The console is just snap in. I took out the console and it sits under where the arm pad is. The steering wheel control box sits by the shifter, and the antenna sits on top of the radio. Put all back together and nothing shows,

Just had this unit put in my 2003. If you are already XM/Sirrius subscriber the radio is free, with a 2 year subscription.
Mounted unit on dashboard to left of steering wheel. Works great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back