Rust Already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inferno Red wrote:
"The "Model Master" paints by Testors(or any model paints for that matter) are not made to and will not hold up to outside weather conditions...certainly not on a metal surface WITHOUT a primer base coat!The first time it is hit by highpressure water or a few trips through road grime during wet weather,it will start to chip off!Please invest in some actual auto paint...may be more expensive BUT it is designed to take that punishment...model paint is designed to sit on a shelf and look good.Just trying to save you some frustration."
He is most likely 100% correct. If someone could get an auto paint store to mix up 1/2 pint of the correct color it would be enough to paint all of the center caps Ford will produce in the next 5 years.
Point well taken though.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Wouldn't the next best thing simply be to ask the parts department for a touchup paint kit for "Thunderbird Blue"?

That's auto-paint... and it's the real thing. For those with a TBird Blue car... it's an exact match to the rest of the car.

Somehow this sounds like the best idea. Any opinions?

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate
Waiting for #9476...

TBIRDII, Yes I though of that also but the blue would not be the same as the turqoise color as on the hood and trunk emblem. I'm thinking about riding out to a local auto paint dist. that I've bought paint from for my MGB. They have a good selection of those little bottles of touch up paint. See if I can find something close to the turqoise color.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/18 Delivery Date SOON!!

I agree, the blue on the logo is not the same as the stock "Thunderbird Blue" car color, but as long as you have a car in that color, it should look pretty good.

Before I do anything I think I'll tinker a bit with other color options too.

Let us know if you find a good source for durable paint in the best possible color.

------------------
Joe
TBIRD II - My License Plate
Waiting for #9476...

TBIRD II, I think I found an answer. I looked at the small 1/2 oz bottles of touch-up paint and could not find anything close. SO, I bought three different colors of paint. Many,many moons ago I was a printer. We had to match colors by hand,long before PC's were out. Back in the mid 60's. Anyway, I got pretty good at it so I got a bottle of white, one of dark blue and one of dark green. These are the colors that make up the turqoise color. I started mixing this morning 2 or 3 drops of the blue and green into the white at a time till I got close to that color. Right now mine is a little on the light side but will wait till the car comes in to get a good match. This took about an hour to do not real hard. Just take your time and don't get it too dark too fast. Good Luck if you try this. It cost a little over $7.00 for the paint.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. Ordered in Jan. 7of12 NOW 4of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293 Build Date 01/18 Delivery Date SOON!!

Try This.. Go to www.paintscratch.com search the 1968 ford colors.. I think the Aztec Aqua is close... Not sure, I can't get the colors to print out. But it looks awfull close.. Color code "E" 1969 Ford...

I have access to a CNC plasma machine and I made a 6' Thunderbird for my garage wall out of Stainless Steel.. I'm on my 3rd color trying to match the emblem.. I ordered an extra set of wings for a color comparison. The wings are due in any day now.. If I find a close match, I will post the results..

PA02BIRD I think you found a perfect match.
Originally posted by PA 02 Bird:
Try This.. Go to www.paintscratch.com search the 1968 ford colors.. I think the Aztec Aqua is close... Not sure, I can't get the colors to print out. But it looks awfull close.. Color code "E" 1969 Ford...

I have access to a CNC plasma machine and I made a 6' Thunderbird for my garage wall out of Stainless Steel.. I'm on my 3rd color trying to match the emblem.. I ordered an extra set of wings for a color comparison. The wings are due in any day now.. If I find a close match, I will post the results..

------------------
Jim Williams
'98 Lincoln Continental & waiting for red/red/blk premium Bird (#2 of 2 not VIN-less anymore)
Mass. tag JWBIRD Christmas gift from #3 daughter

I'll try to get the photos this week! but may take a few days after that to get them on the net.

I like the looks of the the painted T-bird on the hubs. Probably will give it a shot when my blue on blue with full accent comes in. Number 14 of 16 and no VIN yet. Any advice on how to prepare the surface for painting?

PA 02 brd..what a great idea..wish I could get one like that. If you make another 6 footer, figure out a way to ship to ohio...maybe make a 4 footer....let me know what it would cost..sounds classy

The painted centers look great!I think I will give it a try.
Before painting bare metal coat the area to be painted with white viniger.It etches the surface to accept the paint and let it dry before painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back