running out of gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Some time back I saw a thread about cars dying with 1/2 tank of gas or less, but usually restarted. It was also mentioned that if the car quit with 1/4 to 1/8 tank, it may need the fuel pump replaced? I've had my car 7 months, but I've never let the fuel tank get lower than 1/2. Now I'm wondering how I could find out if mine could be one of the ones to quit at 1/4 or less? Has this happened to very many, or is it very unusual? Its nice weather now, and I might like to take the car on longer drives, but I'm belatedly concerned about the fuel pump, and I don't want to find out the hard way. Any comments or suggestions? I just turned 1000 miles.

------------------
Yellow premium, full accent 4127

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've turned over 10,000 on Amadeus, TBIL, and have had the needle down below a quarter several times....no problems thusfar....knock on brushed aluminum, since there's no wood in the interior---Oh, wait, the gearshift knob is wooden!

Mine has 700 miles and I put 18.48 gallons in it on the first fill up. I do not like stopping for gas and tend to push the limit.

You should not have to replace the fuel pump if you run out of gas. You may need to turn the ignition on and off a few times and pump the gas pedal, but it should start after that. It is not a good idea to run out of gas. This is written in the owners manual.

I think the reason Ford recommends not running out of gas is that the fuel pump is located in the tank and is cooled by the liquid fuel around it. You may damage the pump if it runs without the cooling of the gasoline.
George.

Doesn't running out of gas have a bad effect on the catalytic converter? It also introduces all the sludge that collects in the bottom of the tank into the rest of the fuel system. The more empty the tank is, the more water condensation it gets, too.

The previous references to "out of gas when the gauge still shows nearly 1/2 tank" were problems with the car dying for no apparent reason and then it would always restart. The suspected culprits are that the "computer got confused" (usually with less than 2000 miles on the car) and the "(split) saddle tanks got all the gas on the wrong side and starved the fuel pump briefly". I don't recall anyone saying their fuel pump had to be replaced.

JimmyFitz
#9429 Triple Blue Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back