Road Tar on my 2005 Cashmere

Mike in Nashville

Mike in Nashville

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Somewhere along the roads I picked up a good amount of road tar on all four fenders. I do hate the look of it but not sure what the best way to correct the issue would be. Any advice on what to use and not demolish my paint job. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Somewhere along the roads I picked up a good amount of road tar on all four fenders. I do hate the look of it but not sure what the best way to correct the issue would be. Any advice on what to use and not demolish my paint job. Any help would be appreciated Thanks
This worked in my red bird. There was just a small amount behind the passenger front wheel. I think they may have a small 4 oz size to give it a try

https://amzn.to/2CSzXrj

Last edited by a moderator:
There are commercial bug & tar removal products. Try a little kerosene in an inconspicuous spot.
Remember that the tar will likely have grit in it ,so soak before trying to rub and rub lightly w/cloth or sponge soaked in whatever you try. That applies to tar removers and kerosene. You will probably find kerosene cheaper and it has the added benefit of creeping behind mouldings and seams, helping to prevent rust.

Tarminator, Tar and Sap remover! Used it on my 2005 cashmere this Spring. Just follow the directions. Easy on/ easy off. Melts the road tar right off.

Thanks for the response I will pick up some Terminator and give it a try. Safe driving and also just wanted to ad that my daughter thinks my 05 Bird rides really smooth compared to her car. She drives a BMW

I know this is waaay late to respond and you prolly have solved your tar problem, but for future needs here is one that may sound weird but I witnessed it myself one time. WD40. Saw a guy on a paving crew dealing with a motorist who got tar on his car. He sprayed in liberally with WD40 waited about a minute and wiped it off, turned the rag to a clean part and repeated it. Could not tell it was ever there.

I know this is waaay late to respond and you prolly have solved your tar problem, but for future needs here is one that may sound weird but I witnessed it myself one time. WD40. Saw a guy on a paving crew dealing with a motorist who got tar on his car. He sprayed in liberally with WD40 waited about a minute and wiped it off, turned the rag to a clean part and repeated it. Could not tell it was ever there.
What if it's been on there a while? WD40 would probably work... but take longer?! I swear WD40 will bring world peace... that and duct tape!

The "bug and tar" remover at the auto parts store works well, just give it time to soften the nasty areas and CAREFULLY remove the mess; as noted the tar may well have some road grit in it...

Back