Retrofit Begins for Ford's Retro Car....

Status
Not open for further replies.
T-Bird Moldings

I'm not exactly sure where you guys get your info, but there will be no 1 piece molding. Design intent at this time is to have 3 pieces (one for each quarter, one across the upper back) to act as a buffer to protect the paint from the cross car motion of the hard top while it is on. Ford is currently testing out proposed designs so whatever molding is put on the car, it lasts a reasonable amount of time. There is no part number (yet) for this part, since it is not released in the system. Hopefully, the service fix should be out in time for winter storage. Meanwhile, leave the hardtop off and enjoy the summer weather.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Re: T-Bird Moldings

Originally posted by Jade
I'm not exactly sure where you guys get your info, but there will be no 1 piece molding.................
Info came from "Quickdraw's" post at top of this page.....

What amazes me in this whole thing is Ford itself...or rather thier response.An almost lethargic response to correct the problem....almost as if they do not care.

I understand that this is not a safety issue.....so Ford feels they can put it on the "back burner" so to speak.BUT...this is thier flagship model.It has been on the road now for almost 2 years and still no fix.This car costs an average of 40k....figuring in the fact that most who buy it haven't bought a base model and many have paid dealer gouging prices(atleast early on).It is a luxury machine.......that means image is everything....followed closely by performance.What can be more damaging to the image than being at a car show and having a big scuff in the clear coat and color coat and explaining that it is due to how Ford designed the Hardtop to sit on the rear deck.Shows a considerable lack of engineering forethought on Ford's part.A multi-billion dollar corporation can afford to design a fix....and install it on the realatively few of these vehicles sold(compared to other Ford models on the market)It would be far cheaper than long term temporary replacement fixes...such as tape...and repairing any damage to the paint on the deck.I just feel this is silly.....and empathize with all you folks lucky enough to own a T-Bird.

InfernoRed

found this on another site concerning 2004...... "There is no planned hardtop protection strips mounted on the body of the car - the mylar strips will still be the protection to use."
:rolleyes:

The repair molding exists!

The dealers are totally unaware of the problem and the "fix".

Only after I contacted Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673 did things begin to happen .

They told me Ford has a tech bulletin out on the problem. I THINK the tech bulletin number is 15924. The bulletin is brand new, and the dealer did not know it existed.

The Ford part number is 1W6Z-76202-W30 AM. To really sweeten the situation, I discovered that Ford allows Lincoln-Mercury dealers to perform warranty on Fords. My friends at the nearby
L-M dealership are delighted to OOH and AH over the Tbird. Within 30 minutes the body shop manager had a copy of the tech bulletin and had the parts on order.

It arrived in two days. The Bird is there now.

My fingers are crossed in anticipation.

02 Black/Black Premium- 1800 pampered miles

You are right, the much-discussed strips did turn out to be the mylar edition.:rolleyes:

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. The dealer was very apologetic, and will help us to get this problem resolved.

I ain't giving up.

Maybe if every TBird owner called the 1-800-392-3673 Customer Relations number, Ford will understand that we are serious about this modification.

Another day older, ten more miles on my 'Bird, but at least I have the temporary mylar strips at no cost.

02 Black/Black Premium with 1810 careful miles.

Quickdraw:

Excellent suggestion to communicate with Mark. Will do.

It seems to me, considering Ford's inventory of unsold Birds on dealers lots, that they would want to avoid any (additional) negative publicity about design or engineering problems. It is to their interest to quickly deal with these minor, non recallable concerns.

I have strong interest in the success of the new TB's.

My '02 T'Bird is the reprise of the black 1957 which I drooled over and wished for in 1957. In that year, our two year old and his diapers wouldn't quite fit in the TBird and neither would our budget.

I've followed these threads long before I finally bought the realized 1957 dream in May, 2002. The quality and sincerity of these postings influenced my decision to buy my $40K toy.

Thanks to all.

Has ANYONE received ANYTHING from ANYBODY in response to this item?:confused:

Last edited:
Originally posted by tbird2003
Yep. Some Dealers, or should I say dealership employees are usually the last one to know. For example, I stopped at a local dealer in the Cleveland area to view the new 007 Bond Bird. When the salesman approached me I asked to see the 007 Bond T-bird. He laughed and said there was no such thing. I then pointed to the car on showroom floor. His exact words were “I thought that was new shade of red”. The salesman didn’t even stop to read the window sticker.

He's probably the top producer there. More concerned with selling to people than minutia like car models...

T-bird Bright convertible molding

Hey all, bad news. The stainless steel bright molding has been cancelled for the T-bird by the Vehicle Personalization group at Ford. The good news is that a new tape will be available that lasts considerably longer than the current tape.

Aftermarket?

Well, if that is official then that leaves aftermarket.
:confused: Anybody have contact with decoma?:rolleyes:
"in my best radio announcer voice:D" "SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR THUNDERBIRD CONCEPTS:D"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back