Removing hub Cap | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Removing hub Cap

• Thread starter Thread starter Ted Mace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arial
Does anyone know how to remove the hub cap without dammaging the finish on the wheels? Is there a special tool?

Is the xpel coating successful in preventing dammage to the finish under the hard top and in the front "nose" area from stone chips?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ted:
First, let me welcome you to the forum!!! 😀 😎
Lately there have been a lot of postings for earlier model TBirds. But for this post I'll assume you're speaking of 2002-2005 TBird hub caps. If so, I use a wide blade screw driver with masking tape over the blade. Works real well since I haven't had a scratch in 2 1/2 years.
I would guess even a brake tool would work as well, if it were covered too.
Althougfh X-Pel is expensive, I know many who have used it and not one complaint about dings in paint. I have not heard of anyone using it on the hard top.
Guy at work put it on his Lexus last year and with his NH weather and sand kicking up on the car all winter, he's very pleased. Caught a few rocks and no damage.
In fact I believe X-Pel will even guarantee it, if their dealer puts it on. Their website gives dealer locations.
Hope this answers your questions.

......I made the mistake have having the selling dealer do a tire rotation....needless to say, they blemished every wheel, prying the centre caps off.....They offered to repair the wheels but I declined out of lack of faith......It is a daily driver so I'm living with it.....That ended my association with that dealer! 🙁

The Xpel product is nice

I've had the Xpel "bra", side mirrors, rear bumper, and top rub strip on my '02 for nearly three years. The top rub is not an issue, while the "Bra" can take some good hits with stones. I've got a yellow car and I've seen it on others, however, my color hides the Xpel very nicely since the product has a yellow tint. If you can find a certified tech to install the front end pieces, you're better off than trying it on your own. If you are talking about the flat rear deck piece almost anybody can do that.

Good Luck,

Flair

Removing hub covers

Hi all,
Regarding the removal of hub covers I have found the best tool to be bicycle tire mounting spoons.They are made of a hard plastic,shaped like a small screwdriver blade,designed to not damage soft aluminum rims,and they are cheap to boot.Usually can be found at premium bike shops they are about 5.00 for four.I,ve used them for years with no damage to clear coat or chrome hub and rims. Regards,
Robby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back