Recharging A/C on 1956 Thunderbird?

Steven Angvick

Steven Angvick

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a 1956 Ford Thunderbird, and knew that the A/C was not functioning. Everything seems there, and in great shape: new looking compressor, new hoses, connectors, the works. I figured it just needs a charge, and then see what happens. I contacted a Firestone service shop, and they told me that since it needed R-12 refrigerant, and not the new R-34, I would need to take it to a restoration shop. Huh?

This can't be rocket science, any thoughts as to who I could contact to get my system charged?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just a side note, A/C systems are closed and shouldn't need "recharged". It's always an indicator of a leak somewhere, often in an o-ring in connection lines or a gasket.

Just a side note, A/C systems are closed and shouldn't need "recharged". It's always an indicator of a leak somewhere, often in an o-ring in connection lines or a gasket.
The car was recently restored, and it is probable that owing to all of the new components present, the system was never charged after all of these components were replaced. I can't see any ports where freon can be added on the compressor or lines, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?

The conversion of an A/C system from R12 to R134 only requires the replacement of the O rings at the hose fittings of the unit. If you have light green O rings, you are good. The other problem is the refrigerant oil. Before recharging the system, vacuum evacuate the system for at least and hour at as close to 30" of vacuum as possible that will boil all the old oil out of the system. Make sure there are no leaks in the hoses or seals and add the appropriate amount of R134 refrigerant oil and R134. It is not a big deal,

Some of the Factory GM systems require some other minor part changes but the general aftermarket units do not.

The conversion of an A/C system from R12 to R134 only requires the replacement of the O rings at the hose fittings of the unit. If you have light green O rings, you are good. The other problem is the refrigerant oil. Before recharging the system, vacuum evacuate the system for at least and hour at as close to 30" of vacuum as possible that will boil all the old oil out of the system. Make sure there are no leaks in the hoses or seals and add the appropriate amount of R134 refrigerant oil and R134. It is not a big deal,

Some of the Factory GM systems require some other minor part changes but the general aftermarket units do not.
I am completely out of my element in vacuum evacuation or adding the appropriate amount of oil and R134. Is there somebody who does this professionally?

I just purchased a 1956 Ford Thunderbird, and knew that the A/C was not functioning. Everything seems there, and in great shape: new looking compressor, new hoses, connectors, the works. I figured it just needs a charge, and then see what happens. I contacted a Firestone service shop, and they told me that since it needed R-12 refrigerant, and not the new R-34, I would need to take it to a restoration shop. Huh?

This can't be rocket science, any thoughts as to who I could contact to get my system charged?
you can easily convert it to r134. i have done several vehicles. if you don't trust yourself to do it , most auto shops can do it. you do not need to go to a restoration shop

I am completely out of my element in vacuum evacuation or adding the appropriate amount of oil and R134. Is there somebody who does this professionally?
Any shop that does more than just recharging the system will be able to advise you. If the system is still sealed and has not been open to the atmosphere for any length of time then the job is pretty simple. I have an evacuator pump and do my own recharges. Go to a good independent local shop that has a good reputation and ask them about charging it with R134.

Steven,
I question the capability of the Firestone technician with whom you spoke. I have a R-12 system, and had to replace one high pressure hose. It was an expensive ordeal. The new R-134 hoses have different connectors and ends. If the previous owner installed new parts (hoses); I cannot imagine making the effort to install R-12 components. Could the Firestone technician have assumed it was R-12 because of the car? The systems sold by the TBird parts vendors ar R-134.

You suggest that you are not familair with proper charging the AC system.
If it is an R-12 system, it is best to follow the advice already provided and get it converted to R-134. Go to a shop that specializes in AC, so that it is done right. Then you won't have any issues in the future. It doesn't need to be a vintage air shop. Search for 'Cold Air' for direction.

Alternatively, you can get R-12 on eBay at about $6 can. You'll need 3 or 4 cans depending on the capacity of your system. But you will have to replace the dryer that has the same in/out fitting as your current hoses, rent or buy a vacuum which have to run for about an hour; then add the proper oil type for R-12 as specified on your compressor. Then with a good set of gauges charge the system with the R-12.

I hope you are convinced to get the system converted to R-134.

.Service Fittings.jpg

Oh I'm so glad that my A/C is the top down. Yes the early birds run hot But shorts & a hat that won't blow off is a delight.

I have to assume that it IS a R134A system. As has been mentioned, cars since the mid 90's are using the modern refrigerant.

On my 14T I just flip the windshield down

TZ: I also question the tech at Firestone. I simply called the shop, and the kid answering the phone had to put it down several times and ask somebody to answer each question I had. And no, I am not keeping an R-12 system, although some fanatic old school Baby Bird guys might say this is blasphemy. I just want the system to work, and somebody went through a ton of money restoring this car, as all of the components are sparkling new looking. Needless to say, I am not taking it in to the Firestone shop. Based on the thread here from you guys, I will find a competent shop beforehand and then take the car in personally and have a conversation with somebody who knows a thing or two about A/C. It's not brain surgery or rocket science, and automotive A/C has not changed all that much since the first production car with it showed up at the New York World's fair in 1939 (a Cadillac, I believe).

See photo of the compressor, what kind of fittings are these? R-12? R-134? I took the cap off of one, don't know if it was the high or low side. Note that you could eat off this engine, also note the pristine condition of the hoses and fittings.

Attachments

• ac compressor fittings.jpg
    ac compressor fittings.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • ac hoses.jpg
    ac hoses.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
Interesting, those appear to be R-12 fittings, but I know of more than one A/C system that began as R-12 and got converted to 134 without the bother of properly converting the fittings. Find a shop with a grey hair crew.

Back