rear Licence Plate Frame replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michel

Last seen
Hi T-bird lovers. Can anybody tell me how to replace the rear licence plate frame? My Dealer tells me that I have to replace (buy a new one) the rear bumper, get it painted and installed, just to replace the licence plate frame which is dented/broken.

Moderator Update 2021-
FORD OEM Thunderbird Rear Bumper-License Plate Bracket Pocket Mount 1W6Z17B390AA

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you're asking. A rear license plate frame is found in any parts store... Or, is it the whole area piece where the plate goes?
As it relates to the bumper, did you have an accident? It must be in bad shape if it needs replacing and paint.
There was a replacement on the web a few months ago for $500 and than a paint job would have been about $300. Keep us posted please.

Thank you George. No, I backed up into a light pole and just cracked the frame (the top was down, so I heard it and stopped immediately), but the dealer tells me now that to replace it you have to replace the whole bumper. I think one should be able to somehow get behind the bumper and take off the Lincence frame. Thanks for trying to help me. I will also ask around in Carlisle.

Asking is a good idea. Eventually there will be junk ones showing up. If you strike out let me know. There's a guy in CA that may be able to help.
Next time I talk with him I'll ask, now that I know what you need.

Just checked with CA guy and says they come through 'all in tact'. So I guess we live with these things or buy a whole unit.
Mike, don't know where you are but if in CA I can hook you up when he get's another

I live in Toronto, Canada. My intent is to go as far as Carlisle. Maybe next year I'll cruise all the way to CA and connect with you. In the meantime I'll be looking for suggestions on how to replace only the frame. Thanks again George!

michel:
I'm in MA, not CA. That's why it's usually nice to have your location in your profile... As you can see, mine is above and across from my name.

I just know of that guy out there in CA as an outlet for TBird, new parts. If he is correct, it will be a bumper and then paint. The last one he had was black and sold it for $500.

Of course there's alway ebay to keep watching.

Hi George,
The $500 for the painted bumper is a lot less than the $2000 they quoted me here. But maybe that's without installation. Yes I see that you are about 9Hrs away from me. Are you planning to go to Carlisle this year? I belong to the ITC and expect to be at their tent on Saturday. I'm looking for some wide withewall tires there and hope to get them mounted too. :)
Thanks again!

michel:
The $500. also doesn't include shipping either which may be expensive

I am not going to Carlise. However I have two friends, one from MA and one from CT that may be going with their New Birds.

If you don't gfind whitewalls at Carlise, there's a guy in GA that sells them for our Birds. I believe their company is Diamondback. Try a web search. If you get no where's let me know and I'll find them from a friend that bought the tires a few years ago.
In fact I think you can send them yours and they vulcanize the side walls on for you.

By the way, we have a show in Fitchburg, MA in April if you're interested. I usually get two Birds, two couples each year from Saint-Eustache QC, Canada

michael:

Maybe I found one for you. If so let us know if it works out for you. ALSO, when you speak with him ask how it goes on since the dealer told you it couldn't be done.
See this note:

"I have a rear plate pocket off a 2002 t-bird in excellent condition for sale.

Will sell for $150.00 or Best Offer plus shipping

Photos available

I also asked about replacing it. LIke remove bumper cover or not. His answer was:
"I do not believe you have to remove the whole bumper just lift the bottom of it to get your hand in back of it. the pocket is held on with 8 push-on clips"

pocket

Mike send me your email or fax number and I will send you all the info from the service book on how to replace the plate pocket. And no you do not have to buy the whole bumper the pocket is sold by it self I also have all 8 push on clips

Larry

Pocket

Hi Larry,

That's the best news I heard in a long time!!! I will get back to you on email.

Michel :)

bumper/Pocket

Hey George,

Thank you very much! That's great news........It's members like you who make this Forum such a great site. I'm in touch with Larry and I will keep you posted on the final outcome. I'm sure I will find a way to fix it now.......thanks to YOU! :)

Michel

michel:
That's great.....when we didn't hear from you I thought we lost you. That's why I posted and PM'ed you, since your original post was in February.
Yes, keep us posted on the outcome!

Don't know if this is still a live topic but check out e-bay item #300115197696 maybe what your looking for. :cool:

Ed: I turned him onto a guy and he bought that one - He's just not installed it yet.
But, someone else may be looking for one. Thanks for posting.

pocket

Mike send me your email or fax number and I will send you all the info from the service book on how to replace the plate pocket. And no you do not have to buy the whole bumper the pocket is sold by it self I also have all 8 push on clips

Larry
I also need to replace my rear licence plate moulding.
I did get a new one but I would like to see any info to assist in the re/re
Thanks for any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back