Rear End Noise | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Rear End Noise

• Thread starter Thread starter Ticket Ted
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T
Today I am taking in my 2003 with 28000 miles on it for a whining rear end. I researched the forum and found several posts concerning the same problem and the fixes. Since it is out of warranty I am hoping that something can be worked out through Ford. Just maybe-since I am picking up my new Fusion from the dealer at the same time I drop the bird off.

Ticket Ted

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I acquired a 2004 almost a year ago. It now has 58,000 miles and the rear end noise seems to be getting louder than it was. Took it in to the Ford dealer just yesterday. They say the ring & pinion gears need replacing and possibly some other gears - cost $1500-1700. Would be intertested to see how you fare with the dealer there.

cndspin

Noise update

Dropped the car off at the dealer. The service manager, service advisor and mechanic will all test drive the car to see what they hear. Also told them that on occasion, when coming to a stop, the car slams back into first gear. You can hear the rear end clunk. They checked for any service bulletins and nothing was found. Still awaiting their diagnosis.

I've heard of about 6 TBirders that have had ring & pinion sets replaced. Fortunately, most were still under warranty.
There was also one who had a slight whining and it turned out to be a wheel bearing

i love my car but i worry about having some of these problems. the shop says there are fewer problems with the 02 than other models. seems backward, but they kept changing things that were working well for "innovations". the one that i worry most about is the transmission error, but so far so good.

cndspin

One week and $1700 later, rear end is quiet. New ring & pinion & bearings plus associated axle bearings. Would be interested to hear of others.

Maybe people should re-consider getting that new , used car warranty....

My Results-Rear End Noise

First I must apologize for the delay in responding. The Ford dealer had the car for a week. They drove it every day. Cold, hot,-you name it-"No noise heard". I told them to open up the rear end and change the fluid and while it is open look for debris and condition of the gears. I was told that they could change the oil but to look inside the gear case whould require dropping the rear end down due to its location and work to unmount the rear suspension etc to drop it down. Needless to say I have no answer. I drove the car home and it was quiet. It has been parked in the garage since that day and have not used it. Not that I'm upset, I just have been busy and traveling using my new Fusion instead. I personally know the mechanic and service advisor so I don't think I was steered wrong. I was told to drive it until the noise surfaces again. Since it is my "Sunday top down car" I should start driving it again but it has been too cool for that.

Just a little side note:

We had a new Crown Vic at work that made so much noise from day one. I took it to the a dealer who we used and they rebuilt the rear end completely. Still made noise right up to the day we got rid of the car with 90K on it.

Ticket Ted

Hmm, did they ever change the fluid, then? Because on my Camaro, we have rear-end noise issues and it's usually the fluid. Usually you just change out the fluid and it's good to go. Maybe this was your issue?

Read End Noise

Hi folks, I am the newest member of this forum and this is my first post.

I just purchased a used 02, Yellow/Yellow with 69,000 miles on it from a used car guy here in Sarasota Florida who had purchased from the original owner. I detected a "whining" in the rear end but closed the deal anyway. After taking it to my local Lincoln/Mercury dealer I was told it was a bad right wheel bearing and the cost would be $950 plus $95 an hour for labor. I found a mechanic friend who ended up replacing BOTH rear wheel bearings for $500 and the noise is gone. HOWEVER, THAT WAS JUST THE BEGINING.

I say it was the beginning since while under the car for the first time I saw that EVERY bushing, both front and rear were "shot." From the tie rod ends to the sway bars to the strut mounts, ALL WERE NOT ONLY BAD, BUT FALLING APART. My same mechanic replaced 18 (yes, eighteen) bushings at a bargin price of $1200. I have all the old broken bushings in a plastic bag if anyone is interested. Would love to hear from others with T-birds approaching 70,000 miles who have similar problems or concerns. Thanks for reading this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back