Rear deck protective tape 2002-2005

T
Last seen
I found rear deck protective tape for my 2003 Tbird. It is InvisiGARD #IPP-FRD-1004g from autotrimdesign.net for $59.99. Has anyone found something better or abandoned the strips altogether? Thanks Tim

I found rear deck protective tape for my 2003 Tbird. It is InvisiGARD #IPP-FRD-1004g from autotrimdesign.net for $59.99. Has anyone found something better or abandoned the strips altogether? Thanks Tim
I got a set of stainless steel hardtop protection strips from Powersport Corporation for about $200 a few years ago. These strips also look great when the hardtop is off. I hated the plastic strips that came with the 2002 Bird.

I purchased a set of stainless steel hardtop protection strips from Powersport Corporation for about $200. These strips also look great when the hardtop is off. I always hated the plastic strips that came with my 2002 Bird.

I am anew member and have just purchased a 2004 Thunderbird. What does everyone use now days for the rear deck protective tape? I have seen suggestions for many years back with some suggested web sites that are no longer active. Thanks James

I have used clear 3M branded sign writing vinyl, obtained from a sign writing business. Used the old ones as template and last very well without wearing substantially over 5-6 years now. Cost less than $10 and still have enough left over to make another 2 sets.

I have the aluminum strips but you can also use 3/8” open cell weatherstripping. It protects the sail panel and removal is easy. Any residue from the tape is lifted with Goo Gone.

I should have added that if you go with the metal strips they are "FLIMSY"; especially the long center one. Be sure to support it well when moving it from the packaging to the car to avoid a kink.

According to a friend:rolleyes:

I went to a sign shop and had them make me them out of the vinyl they use for signs. It sticks incredibly well and matches car perfectly. Way thinner then that Ford “crap”.
If you have the Ford stuff you can use it as a pattern. I no longer have my hard top, however I left my vinyl on...

I have the aluminum strips but you can also use 3/8” open cell weatherstripping. It protects the sail panel and removal is easy. Any residue from the tape is lifted with Goo Gone.
what width did you use thanks

did you use and recommend

I have used clear 3M branded sign writing vinyl, obtained from a sign writing business. Used the old ones as template and last very well without wearing substantially over 5-6 years now. Cost less than $10 and still have enough left over to make another 2 sets.
Can you get this on Amazon?

You can find it listed on there under 3m clear protective tape, except it's usually in big rolls. Better to just try a sign writer if nearby and get some leftover scrap.

2004 ford thunderbird. I took those ss strips off becaues whoever install them put it too close to the converible top and it rub causing damage. I'm having the protective tape professionally installed by a shop in Temecula.

I had the protective strips installed by a professional today and it looks great. See pixs.
20210923_155942.jpg20210923_160008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I presume this is the "flat" type of weatherstrip? Does the 3/8" measurement represent thickness or width? I presume this is applied to the deck, not to the hardtop? Thanks.

Back