Rear Deck Abrasion OASIS Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Botnew56:

It's just a guess, but perhaps you are showing little to no abrasions because of your color being white. It would seem to me the four other colors would show changes in surface abrasion faster than white.

Perhaps we'll hear back from some of the other owners of white to see if they, too, show no abrasions.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Lender1,

I don't think I have you listed in the database, please see my thread "Database Info for the New Birds - post here Update 1", thanks.

RTBRD

mad.gif
I have had mine since the end of Jan., now have 5,000 miles on it. I took my hard top off the third week it was in the nest and found the scratches. The top has been on and off several times since then and the scratches just keep getting worse. Yes, I do polish the body and clean the rubber strip everytime but this does not help. The chrome strip, to me would not cause a problem, if it is put on the way I think it would be. This would be no differant then a chrome strip on the side of the car and I don't see a problem with rust for quite a few years.

When I am out at a show like Carlisle or out with the MATC and get to see other 02's I look for this. I have not found one Bird that did not have some scratching on it no matter what the color, you have to look at it just right in the light to pick it up sometimes.

Yes I think Ford should give us the chrome strip if this is what the owner wants. If the owner doesn't want it then that is OK too. But it should be made available to all that want one.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Preach on GoBird!!!!
I want my chrome strip too!!!

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

Easy, if everyone sais to their dealer that the current fix is not acceptable and send the dealer a formal complaint, Ford will have no choice but to retrofit the 2003 permanent fix on the 2002 model.

They do not want to loose Ford customers that can afford vehicles of this price...

This means that their level of sensitivity is higher than an abrasion problem on a Ford Taurus.

The abrasion problem may not be an easy one to fix. Just screwing or glueing a chrome strip on might ultimately result in nothing more than a scratched chrome strip. This could look as bad (or worse) than the scratches in the clearcoat, or, in severe cases, the paint. Some owners have apparently had severe scratches (I haven't, but I've only had the HT on once, when delivered in February--now it's off for a while.)

Maybe Ford's solution--the clear tape--is the best. I hope it's a temporary fix, but it might be the only fix.

I love the car. I'll live with it.

I agree with everyone that a fix is a must, but there has to be more solutions. I have seen on the new Corvettes, which has always had the same problem, the have a black plastic looking strip. It may not be plastic, more like the meterial they used to make the front license plate holder. I think this type may stand up better and could be made car color or the flat black. This stuff appears to be very strong and I don't think it would show scratches. The only problem may be when you wax the bird, as most of you know what happens when you get wax this type of surface.

------------------
2002 Black/Black/Full Red
1957 Starmist Blue

I agree that a body color plastic strip would be better then chrome, as chrome scratchs too.

As to the wax on plastic, Klassee doesn't do that, nor do I think the Zaino system.

Maybe the condoms Ford is currently sending out is the best answer.

I think a aircraft quality stainless steel plate would be the best answer. Almost as bright as chrome and resists scratches and corrosion.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Lon,

Agreed about the SS and it can also be polished back up with Brasso or something of the like if it does get scratched.

As to the scratching of the paint on the deck if the strip rubs, a very thin strip of compliant elastomer could go between the strip and the paint.

CONCERNING THE "STRIP PROBLEM" . THIS IS SOMETHING I HAVE ENCOUNTERED ON SEVERAL MB SL'S I HAVE OWNED - AND THIS IS THE BEST SOLUTION THUS FAR. GO TO PEP BOYS AND YOU CAN BUY WHITE,RED YELLOW,BLACK AND CLEAR TAPE IN VARIOUS WIDTHS AND APPLY TO THE CLEANED AND PREPPED SURFACE(USING ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL)STARTING AT THE POINT JUST PAST THE DOOR GOING AROUND THE CAR TO THE NEXT SIDE.

ALTHOUGH OUR CAR CAME WITH THE CLEAR STRIPS, TRUST ME THIS IS THE MOST HANDY OPTION TO USE. IT IS HARD TO SAY IF FORD WILL SUPPLY THE CHROME STRIPS - HOWEVER A SHEET METAL FABRICATION COMPANY HERE IN FORT WORTH IS SUBMITTING A BID TO PRODUCE 50 SETS OF SS FLATPIECES BASED ON THE SUPPLIED CLEAR STRIPS.THESE COULD THEN BE ATTACHED TO THE VEHICLE WITH VERY THIN 3M DOUBLE BACK ADHESIVE, PURCHASED THROUGH AN AUTOMOTIVE TRIM JOBBER IN THE DFW AREA. THERE WOULD BE NO MOVEMENT BETWEEN THE SHEET METAL AND THE UNDERLYING 3M ADHESIVE, THUS NEGATING THE POSSIBLITY OF SCRATCHING.

Dear TbirdMarty,

I guess everyone has supplied you with most of the information that you ask for. I would assume that Ford will attach the Chrome Strip with 3M Adhesive, small screw type connectors and crimp the edge along the lip of the sheetmetal. I do not know what they are doing, only guessing. This method would insure that the strip does not move or come off the car. However, go look at old cars with chrome strips on them and you will see that the rust usually starts around them. I will not attach it to my car. The small scratches are not worth this modification. I also think the car looks better without it.

I like the ideal that someone posted about the colored tape. It will protect your paint and can be removed at will. I know most people will go with the chrome strip. Since most owners store there car indoors, rust will not be a problem.

Be sure to have Ford install the chrome strip or it will void your corrosion protection plan for that portion of the car. Also, it Ford installs it, they warranty it. I guess if everyone makes enough request Ford will respond. I too will make the request to help those who want the chrome strip.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back