Rear Deck Abrasion OASIS Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an OASIS broadcast message relating to the TBird hartop abrasion issue. Thought you folks would be interested in it.

3085 - PAINT PROTECTION FROM REMOVABLE TOP - REAR DECK CARE KIT
SOME 2002 THUNDERBIRD MAY EXHIBIT MINOR PAINT ABRASIONS ON THE REAR DECK OF
THE VEHICLE WHERE THE REMOVABLE ROOF (TOP) RESTS. THESE ABRASIONS MAY
BE MOST NOTICEABLE WHEN THE ROOF IS REMOVED AFTER BEING INSTALLED ON THE
VEHICLE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. TO SERVICE, A REAR DECK CARE KIT IS
NOW AVAILABLE TO HELP PROTECT THE PAINT IN THIS AREA OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE
HARD TOP IS INSTALLED. ORDER PART NUMBER 1W6Z-202W30-AA, WHICH CONTAINS 4
SEPARATE SETS OF 4 DIE-CUT PIECES OF CLEAR TAPE, AND A INSTRUCTION SHEET TO
ADVISE THE CUSTOMER ON INSTALLATION AND REMOVAL PROCEDURES.

Brian Gowing
Founder/President
Lincoln LS Owners Club www.llsoc.com

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I finally very carefully took my top off this weekend to find a deep scratch hidden under the seal about 3/4" long. Has anyone else encountered this, I was expecting maybe small scratching but not this? You can bet I will be talking to my dealership real soon.

Jeff,

Sorry to hear that buddy. My top was on for only the first 300 miles and I had many minor scratches but nothing like you have. I just finished "zainoing" the T-bird this weekend and that helped alot, but there are still many visible small scratches. Good luck with the fix...btw, what color is your baby?

------------------
Premium Black w/Red partial
VIN - 1FAHP60AX2Y113877
sq#4044
build #14004
Delivered 3/29/02
2000 Chrysler Sebring Conv.
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula

I visited my dealership for an oil change and filter today 06/03/02 I provided a copy of this thread to the service manager and was told that a kit was ordered for me free of charge. They had a used blk/blk/blk (2200 + on the odometer)on the showroom floor and the hard top gasket damage was so severe that the involved area will have to be refinished. As a P.S. the service visit was also gratis.
Originally posted by ls1bmw0:
There's an OASIS broadcast message relating to the TBird hartop abrasion issue. Thought you folks would be interested in it.

3085 - PAINT PROTECTION FROM REMOVABLE TOP - REAR DECK CARE KIT
SOME 2002 THUNDERBIRD MAY EXHIBIT MINOR PAINT ABRASIONS ON THE REAR DECK OF
THE VEHICLE WHERE THE REMOVABLE ROOF (TOP) RESTS. THESE ABRASIONS MAY
BE MOST NOTICEABLE WHEN THE ROOF IS REMOVED AFTER BEING INSTALLED ON THE
VEHICLE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. TO SERVICE, A REAR DECK CARE KIT IS
NOW AVAILABLE TO HELP PROTECT THE PAINT IN THIS AREA OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE
HARD TOP IS INSTALLED. ORDER PART NUMBER 1W6Z-202W30-AA, WHICH CONTAINS 4
SEPARATE SETS OF 4 DIE-CUT PIECES OF CLEAR TAPE, AND A INSTRUCTION SHEET TO
ADVISE THE CUSTOMER ON INSTALLATION AND REMOVAL PROCEDURES.

Brian Gowing
Founder/President
Lincoln LS Owners Club www.llsoc.com

------------------
Jim Williams
red/red/std blk premium #2 of 2 VIN 1FAHP60A62Y111592
Mass. tag JWBIRD

I think that's a bunch of Bull *@%#.. Why don't they just throw a roll of duct tape in the trunk with instructions.... We paid $40K+- for their product, the least they can do is "Get it RIGHT".. Ford should provide & install the chrome strip for free.. But, I would pay for the strip to limit the damage to my Bird... Just my opinion....

I took my car in for an oil change this morning, and when I mentioned the deck abrasion, I was told I would have to take it to the body shop which is across town. I was wondering if this sounded right to y'all or am I being given the run-around?

Tbird lover
That can't be right, youe car is still under warrenty and it's a known problem. It's the dealerships responsibility to fix it. They inturn need to get their mony back from Ford.

Oops I should have been more specific, the FORD body shop department is in a separate location from the service department. So I guess my question is, has everyone else been handled by the service department or the body shop?

TBird Lover, I got my bird recently and there were two or three chips/flaws in the paint. The dealer's body shop is taking care of the painting. The body shop is at the same location as the dealership so no problem transporting it. They are keeping it for about three days and have offered a free rental car if I need it. If they have separate locations, it seems to me that you could drop your T-bird off where it is most convenient for you and let them worry about transporting it around.

My car had been on their lot for a while so when making the deal I mentioned that the strips were in the trunk of later VIN numbers. Took the info from here to them and they ordered a set for me at no charge.

That sounds like the kit that comes with the car now. The true fix will be a chrome strip around the deck for the top to rest on.

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

I just removed my hardtop after 750 miles and was pleasantly surprised to find no scratches, just a few little things that came right out with polish. Maybe the top wasn't on long enough to cause a problem?
I don't like the looks of those plastic strips that are supposed to be installed when re-attaching the hard top and hope that a permanent fix will be available soon.

I was also lucky to escape without any hardtop scratches after about 350 miles. Just out of curiousity, was your hardtop fastened down exceptionally tight? Mine was - to the point where it difficult to untorque the bolts. I'm wondering if that helps prevent movement and abrasion.

I just wanted to write to let everyone know that I do not think the chrome strip will be the answer you really want. Think of this, currently the paint is being scratched by the rubber insulator for the Hardtop. If you install a chrome strip, it will constantly be rubbing against the paint and scratching the paint. Granted you will not see it, but it will rub the paint to the bare metal and promote rust. I would not attach anything other than a clear film adhesive strip similar to the one used on the corvette. If you clean the insulator and car, this should minimize the scratches.

I for one would live with the scratches before attaching anything that is only going to cover up the problem. There really is not a good solution to this issue, but it is probably better to live with it.

I guess you could chrome plate the existing sheetmetal and that would resist scratches better than the paint. Good luck!

PaulH;

There have been reports that some visitors to Wixom have seen some 03' models at the plant that have this chrome strip on them. If this is the case then my question is this. Do they do something different in the process of applying the chrome strip at the plant to prevent the problems you noted in your post? Also, if so, can this process be duplicated in an aftermarket/retrofit situation? Which brings to mind a question for those who have Zainoed or Klassed their car. Have you noticed any wear or scratches? If not, do you think the Zaino or Klasse treatment has helped prevent this problem?

------------------
Courage - and shuffle the cards

I Zaino'd my B/B Premium the week I bought it, with the specific thought of preventing/reducing abrasion from the top.

Every 14-21 days since new, I add another coat of Z2 followed by a coat of Z6 (again with the top in mind).

I've had the top off/on about 5 times, and am seeing a small amount of abrasion just behind the drivers seat, where the top interfaces with the rear quarter panel. The rest is in perfect shape.

I was ESPECIALLY concerned living here in Phoenix where the dust is high...during a dust storm, it creeps in everywhere.

What I have started doing is just before I put the top on, I apply an extra coat of Z2/Z6 and then use the Z6 on a cloth, which I then wipe on the rubber portion of the top.

I'll keep you posted if this helps. But so far, only the one small spot (about the size of a toothpick).

I have about 7000 miles on my white bird. Although the hard top is off at the present, most of that has been with it on. I have not seen anything I would call scratching. Any marks in that area have proven to be dust and come right off.

The top does seem to be tightly mounted. Also, I have applied the polish which came with the car before I put the hard top back on.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White, with chrome hood scoop bezel

I got my T-Bird a week ago today and there were two sets of the tape strips in the trunk. After those are gone my guess is that we buy them. After reading all your posts I hope FoMoCo provides us with permanent solution. When I remove the top I will post if there is any damage.

William Gardner
Blk/Blk/Partial Red 118525

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back