Re-Negotiating price? Go for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T
After reading alot of the posts about people who have paid just at or minimally over MSRP, I am rethinking whether or not I should try to get them to come down or look elsewhere, if bychance a Bird that I want will soon be available. I placed my order in August last year for a blue premium w/ blue hardtop, but no interior accent. MSRP at that time $38,465. We came to an agreed price of $530 delivery + $4k for $42,995.

Since I have been waiting so long, I don't feel like waiting any further, and the one I ordered should be here before the end of the month. I am ok with the price settled on before, but of course I wouldn't mind paying less one bit. I just wanted anyone's opinions on whether or not I should stick it out, shop around, or try to re-negotiate price. I live in Dallas area so I can hit anywhere in the DFW metroplex. Although I signed a price quote agreement, it was not an invoice or anything like that, but I did put 2k down for an order deposit.

Thanks,

------------------
TexasTBird

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am thinking about doing the same thing. I wrote a letter to the owner of the Dealership yesterday on how I was lied to about every Ford Dealer selling at 5k above MSRP or above.

Originally posted by RazzFla:
I am thinking about doing the same thing. I wrote a letter to the owner of the Dealership yesterday on how I was lied to about every Ford Dealer selling at 5k above MSRP or above.

If you worded your check "deposit" you may get out legally or so I am told. If you worded it "partial payment" it is harder. Unless you take delivery, the agreement is never completely consummated, therefore they can't keep your money. Also, there are plenty of suckers or people with more money than they can spend that will fill your spot, so the dealership shouldn't care that much. Even earnest money on a home goes back to you if you don't make the deal.

If it was last year when the cars first came out in Sept/Oct the $4000.00 premium might have meant more. However, I still, in my opinion, feel $4000.00 over MSRP is Stupid tax. There are cars available at MSRP, maybe not in the metroplex, but elsewhere...with a little bit of searching I'm sure you'll come up with one. I found mine in Oct last year, in Minden, LA and paid $38,290..MSRP, flew there and drove it back. If you really want to save 4 grand, do a little web search..you can get your deposit back from the dealer very easily. Also, Don Davis in Arlington sold all of theirs for MSRP, and that is where I am getting my 2nd one from next month.

leonK -- don't forget to add the airfare and cost of trip back to the MSRP of your car. In actuality, you paid over MSRP, but how much over?

TexasTBird,
Shop around, I did and found one cheaper. I asked my dealer to compete but he wouldn't. I canceled my order and got the other one. Saved myself $4500.

Originally posted by TexasTBird:
After reading alot of the posts about people who have paid just at or minimally over MSRP, I am rethinking whether or not I should try to get them to come down or look elsewhere, if bychance a Bird that I want will soon be available. I placed my order in August last year for a blue premium w/ blue hardtop, but no interior accent. MSRP at that time $38,465. We came to an agreed price of $530 delivery + $4k for $42,995.

Since I have been waiting so long, I don't feel like waiting any further, and the one I ordered should be here before the end of the month. I am ok with the price settled on before, but of course I wouldn't mind paying less one bit. I just wanted anyone's opinions on whether or not I should stick it out, shop around, or try to re-negotiate price. I live in Dallas area so I can hit anywhere in the DFW metroplex. Although I signed a price quote agreement, it was not an invoice or anything like that, but I did put 2k down for an order deposit.

Thanks,

I can order a 2002 Thunderbird at MSRP and have it drop shipped to your local dealer. Most dealers will charge $200 - $400 for the prep and delivery. The last day to order a 2002 model is May 10. You can still order with your choice of colors and options until May 10. We had a cancellation that has not been scheduled. That is why we are able to still order. Let me know if you are interested.

I won't mention names here, but one of us here on this forum, that was at our road rally last weekend, actually paid UNDER MSRP for their Thunderbird!!! That's right, UNDER MSRP! That's the first person that I am aware of that has been able to do that on the new Thunderbird (other than dealers themselves).

It sure can't hurt to ask.

We had MSRP since the beginning and that's
what paid Monday. A dealer in San Antonio
is offering MSRP and folks are switching to
him from ones that want a premium. I don't
know what they have left but the name is
jordan ford. From Dallas it wouldn't be too
much of a travel expense if they had what
you want.

Well I just finished Re-Negotiatiing a deal because I managed to find a Bird that matched my original order on the floor at a competitor that I got to offer it for $41,740. Even after that though, and calling back the original dealer and going back and forth a bit, the original dealer came down to $40,500. They also expect that rather than having to wait for my original order to get built and delivered that they can just move a blue bird from one of their other locally owned dealerships. So I could have it by tomorrow. Although waiting didnt really bother me much either way, because I will be moving soon, and getting my car before I move means I wont have a empty garage to put it until then.
I am happy with this, I called at least 25+ dealerships around the DFW and Denton areas, only a 5 (including my original order) had Blue TBird's on the floor or scheduled to arrive before the end of the month thet were not spoken for.

But if anyone lives near Dallas and wants to know, Town East Ford, Westway Ford, and Grand Prarie Ford all have Blue TBirds on the floor, Rockwall Ford has one scheduled to arrive soon. Town East Ford was the one that was willing to get into a bit of a bidding war wit the original dealership (Ford Country Lewisville, part of Sam Packs auto) And of course if they move one of the Blue TBirds from one of the other Sam Packs dealerships tomorrow for me, Ford Country Lewisville will have one again in a few weeks.

------------------
TexasTBird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back