Radiator thickness for 1956?

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a '56 with a new alum. radiator. The radiator is 3" thick at the side mounting flanges. Is this thicker than a stock '56 radiator?
My issue is the fan shroud had to be trimmed to get the power steering pump reservoir to fit.
I am thinking that the alum radiator is thicker than stock, and therefore pushes the fan shroud further back, and causes clearance issues with the PS pump.
The trimmed shroud looks a little hookey, but what else can you do?
Thanks, Ralph

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Be thankful that the previous owners spent the time and money to put that alum radiator in.
If the car’s a driver you’ll be happy to have it.
I put one in my 57 a couple years ago, engine’s never been happier.
I have the original radiator that’s been record on the shelf. It’ll never go back in the car as long as I own it.
Enjoy your recent acquisition

If you could post a picture of the radiator in your car
this would help
what you may have is a generic aluminum rad
does the top tank resemble an original?
I have an aluminum replacement rad and it looks just like the original
fits just like the original

It is an alum reproduction to fit the '55-57's. Top tank is fat like original.
It looks and bolts up like original, but I am interested in if it is fatter than original in the side area, and account for my PS pump rubbing on the shroud.
Ralph

I would suspect your pump is mounted too far forward. As you can see by my setup the pump is almost over the top of the rear 'A' frame bolt. Someone may not have had the right pump mount maybe from a sedan and found pulleys to match it's alignment. 20211218_132353.jpg20211218_132410.jpg

Last edited:
Ward, that is what had me confused. I can't see how you could mount it too far forward as the bracket to the water pump, and the exhaust manifold front bolt, control where it is mounted (and I think those brackets are all the same). Not sure if pump thickness could vary from year to year.
I did measure a '57 radiator and it was about 2 1/2" thick, so I am over a 1/2" over that, but still?
And, then the belts have to line up with the crank pulley.

I'm surmising your engine or front of it was replaced. T-Birds had much more limited engine space so they altered some stuff water pump baffle included. That's why the booster is mounted on the fender instead of the master. It's all Ford correct stuff but for a different model. I would investigate that path.
I'm thinking your radiator and shroud mounts are just fine.

Back