Question about automatic/electric carburetor chokes for a 1969 tbird

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys just a couple questions. How is an automatic/electric choke supposed to be hooked up? Constant power from the battery, or "key-on" power? I am only asking this because my 69 tbird seems to be running funny on start, or low idle after I installed a one-wire alternator. The car runs, but it seems low idle is a little rough or odd? Could it be timing or something else? I do know the original alternator was pretty weak and was not even able to keep the battery charged with the engine running and would eventually run the battery down. New alternator keeps the battery at about 14.5 amps when engine is running at idle. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tip, but thats not what I needed to know. However I already found out that the electric choke is supposed to be hooked up to key-on power, not constant. Sadly me hooking it up to constant power ended up burning out the heating element on the electric choke so I had to order another one from holley. Oh well... live and learn. Anyone else doing this though take from my mistake and always remember to hook up your electric choke to key-on power and not constant.

Hey guys just a couple questions. How is an automatic/electric choke supposed to be hooked up? Constant power from the battery, or "key-on" power? I am only asking this because my 69 tbird seems to be running funny on start, or low idle after I installed a one-wire alternator. The car runs, but it seems low idle is a little rough or odd? Could it be timing or something else? I do know the original alternator was pretty weak and was not even able to keep the battery charged with the engine running and would eventually run the battery down. New alternator keeps the battery at about 14.5 amps when engine is running at idle. Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry getting to this so late. I have mine on the key on position

Back