Pricing / value of used thunderbirds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2004 Merlot, with both tops and all options including the convertible boot cover and dolly for the hard top last Monday. This was a one owner car, that I bought from a dealer. with 10,500 miles for 18,000 dollars. I traded in a 2004 Platinum Tbird with 18,000 miles and the dealer gave me 15,000 on trade.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I bought a 2004 Merlot, with both tops and all options including the convertible boot cover and dolly for the hard top last Monday. This was a one owner car, that I bought from a dealer. with 10,500 miles for 18,000 dollars. I traded in a 2004 Platinum Tbird with 18,000 miles and the dealer gave me 15,000 on trade.

Sounds like a great deal and buy.. Last year I paid $19,500 for a 2002 with 16,000 miles from a dealer.. They did put 4 new Continental's Grand Touring PureContact tire on mine, because mine still had the original Michelins Pilots and they were dry rotted.

Long time retired business man - One of the first things I learned is that if it isn't written, it didn't happen.

After declaring three times that the vehicle was "perfect", I would have asked the business owner, not the salesman, for a x day warranty of some sort. Been stuck a few times too.

Bought my Bird 18 months ago, 129K miles, $8,000 from a local flipper. Runs and drives great. Replaced EGR valve.

Cheers

Since we're posting prices... I bought mine as a Christmas present for myself last year. I had been looking for a very specific color combo (t-bird blue/partial interior accent/hardtop) for years. Finally found one. Had 83k miles, paid $10k. I think I got a decent deal since he was asking $12.8k. Of course, as we are seeing, you can list for whatever you'd like, it's a matter of what people are willing to pay.

Of course, as we are seeing, you can list for whatever you'd like, it's a matter of what people are willing to pay.

May wife and I fell in love with a (not sure the year) blue with 2,300 miles on her about 7-10 years ago.. The dealer was asking $30,000 but with two children in college at the time it wasn't even possible.. I would of loved that one owner never seen rain garage queen, I figured we would just give her a new castle.. We saw a couple white ones and a black one over the years.. The black one was in good shape and had 54K mikes.. They were asking $15K for it The white ones had about 30K on them and they were asking $15- 20K..

Matter of fact last February, I saw a white one all winter long in a showroom at a Lincoln dealership that had 22K miles and they were asking $20,000.. So one Tuesday in February I had the day off, I asked my wife should we go for the white and she said yes.. I called and it was gone. The salesperson said it sold a week earlier. Right after I hung up the phone I checked Autotrader.com and bam, our 2002 red one popped up with 16,500 miles at the Mercedes dealership in town and they were asking $20,000 for that one.. I ran over and checked it out.. It had 3 previous owners.. Two near Albany NY and both put on about 3,000 miles each and owned it for about 5 years each.. The last owner was from a small town about 30 miles from us Central NY.. They put about 10K on her in the 5-6 years they owned it. So It's always been a NY car and never seen winters.. The dealership we bought it from held it in their warehouse till April and the roads were free of salt.. We are planning on having ours for the long haul.. Our retirement gift to us..

Yupper we sold our 1986[FONT=Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif] [/FONT]pop up camper that we had for 32 years.. Sold it for $1,300 to make way for the T-bird.. We figure a couple suitcase in the trunk of the Tbird and a hotel room will be far more fun and relaxing then the camper at this stage of life...

A big part of buying a car, and it's price, is determined on where you live.The more cars there are for sale the lower the price, basic supply and demand. No book is completely accurate but if I had to pick one, I would say the true value one is the best. Most people get in a hurry when ready to buy a car, instead of waiting for the deal to come to them, they rush out and usually end up paying too much, many times at a dealer. I do not have a lot of money, refuse to do a loan, always pay cash, so I have to find a deal - I have never and never will buy a new car, but to each their own. I realize that a lot of people have a lot more money than me.

I have bought and sold well over 50 cars in my time (65 yo), own four now, and just bought a 2002 Tbird. I live in the Tampa area, and there is no shortage of cars, most deals around here are done on craigslist. I had been looking for a Tbird for about 4 months when this one came up for sale - 2002 premium, 110k miles, one owner, overall good condition, needed minor work but looked, ran and drove almost perfect. He advertised it for $6500, and I bought it for $4100.

Right now there are plenty of good deals around here for under $10k, here is one example - probably get it for $7500 - https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-ford-thunderbird-v8/6597568315.html

Below is my "new" Tbird.

IMG_20180512_142623~2.jpg

I paid $25,000 for a 2002 Premium with 4688 miles . It was stored in climate controlled storage ( along with several Vettes, Masserattis and Lambos ) and was exactly the color and 2 tone interior that my WIFE had to have so I bought it.
It was (and still is) like a brand new car and I also keep in climate controlled storage and wife drives it very seldom
to cars shows as I drive my 53 F-100 hot rod behind her to the shows. happy wife, happy life!

I'll have my 04 Premium for sale in a few weeks for asking price of $9K. if someone wants the hardtop and factory wheels with it, asking price will be 10K. It's been painted due to peeling clear coat. Car has a clean history and I know the prior 2 owners stemming back to 2008. I'll be selling to buy a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back