portholes

Status
Not open for further replies.
J
Has anyone investigated the possibility of etching or sand blasting the Thunderbird logo in the porthole glass (a la the NM)? Or barring that an after market replacement set of NM portholes?

------------------
Jim Williams

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I forget who posted they work for a promotional company. Might be possible to have some stick on frosted birds made. I have seen this applied to mirrors in some friends houses and even up close it looks like the mirror has been etched/blasted.

It is I who am in the promotional products biz. These are some good ideas. The sticker would be the least expensive but putting it on straight could be a challenge. Durability could also be in question. The etching idea would be the best for quality and durability but could be costly. I'm open to helping out if I can.

------------------
Blue/Blue Premium '02 (Waiting sort of patiently)
Yellow '76

I also like the idea of a stick-on. That way the original glass is not altered for those who want a fully stock car. Some people can make the paste on products that transfer from paper to the glass. I have this type of stick-on to highlite my assigned number on my Mustang Bullitt. It was made by a firm in Texas.

DavidA,

Sounds like something I would not want to get on me or any other part of the vehicle, must be pretty caustic to etch glass (assuming the window is glass, never checked).

Didn't somebody get a price for the NM glass on this subject on the old board? One of my tenants does windshields, and if I HAD my Bird I could have him tell me if a new set of portholes would be a sweet swap. But nooooooooooooo.

After giving the concept more thought, I can report that a good option might be a removable adhesive with the adhesive on the face or a static cling sticker with the static on the face. That way it can be applied on the inside of the window which would take care of the durability issue. Let me know if there is enough interest to go further on this and I'd be happy to look at it.

------------------
Blue/Blue Premium '02 (Waiting sort of patiently)
Yellow '76

I like the static clings as long as the print side is not next to the glass - I've had the print peel off on many static clings after they've been on for awhile in the sun.

I'd be interested too... maybe somebody who knows somebody could scan a copy of the Neiman Marcus porthole wing pattern and we could find someone to make and sell the adhesive or static cling wings to us. I have a feeling that there would be several of us that would buy them, once the word gets out.

I too would be interested in this but I think I would stay with the sticker idea.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Cling type sounds great but getting it level every time you wash the inside glass might be a pain.

I agree with Tip about getting the sticker straight. I have applied a couple of etched looking Gator head stickers to my windows and it was difficult getting them straight but even more difficult removing the one I got askew on the first application.

Wudzee,

I also have a static cling Gator script on the outside of the rear window and have washed the car at the do-it-yourself with high pressure numerous times and the cling stays on.

Originally posted by TbirdTim:
I'd be interested too... maybe somebody who knows somebody could scan a copy of the Neiman Marcus porthole wing pattern and we could find someone to make and sell the adhesive or static cling wings to us.

Tip has already said he's capable of getting this done. He can take care of getting the proper permission from Ford and the pattern.

Count me in too! Definitely interested in this little bit of "customization". Keep us posted.

Thanks,

KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back