Performance upgrades for the 02 3.9 | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Performance upgrades for the 02 3.9

• Thread starter Thread starter Rapidpulse
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R
I am in the process of customizing my wifes 02 bird. We have all of the visuals sorted out and are now trying to decide the best directions for drive train modifications.

As I start to look around I am running into roadblock after road block..... I am just about ready to pull the motor and tranny out and replace with a largter displacement.

I would much rather stay with the high reving stock motor. Has anybody had any experience building these motors? I am shooting for 400 rwp Maybe a supercharger? Any help that can be given would be wildly aprectiated

Rapidpulse

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

WOW

Well, it has been a week and no replies... I am on a pretty tight schedule to complete this project so I guess I will continue in the direction I started. I will post updates and pics as I progress,

Stay tuned.........

Rapid::::Maybe our newest member can help. He's an auto guy

Yes. Go to members list and PM or email them There's two that may be able to help. Daij and dartguy966.

Rapid...any update on your project?

I've been wondering about something like this, but I was going to wait a few years until I wore out the factory motor. (I'm guessing 4-5 years for me)

Does anyone know what would theoretically fit?

I was thinking like a 302 HO out of a stang...what about a 351?

I guess one of the big problems you run into now is with the computer integration, you run into major technology issues if you plan on using the existing computer with a new engine. I know some people avoid this by going with a very basic older style pre-computer setup.

If you do that, how do you deal with having to comply with 2002 emission standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back