PCM Failure in 2002 Thunderbird

FStJ

FStJ

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The Power Control Module located somewhere in the cabin has failed on my 2002 T-Bird. The car will not start. Currently sitting at the dealership which is searching for what's called now an "obsolete" part. Anybody have any suggestions?

PS Thanks for upgrading your membership @FStJ ! The link above has what the dealer needs to fix your car.

It took a family friend of my mechanic, that knows Jaguar engines.

Find a good mechanic that knows Jaguar engines. NOT A FORD DEALERSHIP!!

Is this mechanic friend the one that told you that the car can't be driven in the rain as posted here-

My ECM fried in my 2003 T-Bird. It took a family friend of my mechanic, that knows Jaguar engines, to bring in his diagnostic equipment to figure it out. Ford no longer makes the ECM's. You can only find rebuilt ones. THEN, it may or may not work. They sent back 2 until they found one that worked. Once installed, the car has to be reprogrammed. My T-Bird was in the shop for 2 months! Finally got it all working. Find a good mechanic that knows Jaguar engines. NOT A FORD DEALERSHIP!!!!! Be prepared for a large repair bill. (I spent almost $2,000.00, but to me, it was worth it. She runs GREAT, now.)

Thx, Unfortunately, I had it towed to the Ford Dealer. Slightly less $ and 6 weeks later I have her back. Running okay. What a shame Ford has let us down with parts. Need to investigate the current requirements for maintaining inventory of replacement parts.
Have heard the same about Jaguar simularity, mechanics say the under chassis resembles a cut down Jaguar.

What a shame Ford has let us down with parts.
The car is over seventeen years old! Is Ford also supposed to provide new parts for cars made in the 60s? The car did not sell enough units to have a strong aftermarket parts supply as well.

Unlike vintage cars, and I've owned many and still have a 1963 Corvette there has to be enough demand for a "cottage" industry to grow up so reproduction parts are profitable. Low production on a car with limited appeal (I know - we all love our birds but many don't) and the fact that these cars are way past the mandatory date that factory parts must be made available (it used to be 10 years) make owning them and driving them a challenge.

Back