Ordering a spare top

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm not sure which is which but I think one is used only with the white bottom and the other is used with the colored cars. Don't know why they had to have two differant shades of white.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

Actually I think that performance and ceramic are the same, the white cars are "Whisper White".

The performance white top is the one available for all colors other than "Whisper White". Ceramic white is the color for a replacement top (I think). It is somewhat confusing.

Originally posted by RTBRD:
Actually I think that performance and ceramic are the same, the white cars are "Whisper White".

The performance white top is the one available for all colors other than "Whisper White". Ceramic white is the color for a replacement top (I think). It is somewhat confusing.

I think what you said should be corrected - the Ceramic White appears to be the Whisper White color - the Performance White top is named in his list with its own code.

This is a case of the manufacturer using different names for the same color which confuses the heck out of us. Since the code for the performance white top is labeled "performance white" that leads one to the conclusion that the whisper white and the ceramic white must be the same. The "performance white" is not used at the Wixom factory for the production cars since the tops are painted at the top factory.

I've looked at other lists of the paint codes and have come to the conclusion that Whisper White and Ceramic White are the same colors.

the dealer order code on our Performance White top was R2 but don't think that translates to a paint color code if you're trying to buy paint for it.

------------------
the New T-bird

My contact says the complete top assembly is not priced yet.

Perhaps 2birdblue can share with us what he is paying for it, assuming his order went through.

Redbird-Yes, order did go through, Just got back from a business trip. Will post the price after I talk w/dealer tomorrow.

Regarding the Performance/Ceramic/Whisper white issue: Ceramic White is the color given to the white top that goes with the Whisper White car. Performance White is the color given to the top when ordered separately or in combination with the non-white cars. Performance White is not the same actual color as the Ceramic/Whisper white - it is a slightly brighter white - hence the different part number.It is difficult to see the difference unless you park an all white car next to a blue one with the Performance White top. We did the comparison when the cars were on the road show last summer in Newport RI. We also did a bunch of top swaps during a recent car meet.

Well folks, wait 'till you see this info.

The suggested retail price for an assembled top through the Parts Department of your local friendly dealer (?) is $4,620.00. The price was just released and it should (?????) include freight to the dealer. I understand that the tops are not being released for shipment until the Ford supplier has determined the best way to ship them.

This is quite a price shock when the actual difference in price of the standard convertible with the deluxe model (which includes the hardtop) is about $1,500.00, I believe.

My dealer is making a concession on the price and I won't have a final price until the shipping item is resolved. But, I think there is a lot of room for negotiation since Parts often have a 40% - 50% mark-up to play with.

So - if you're thinking of ordering an extra top - better to see what your final costs might be before proceeding.

It would be interesting to see if we could get more pricing information about dealers that have to replace tops because of ordering screwups.

biggrin.gif
rtbrd, I told you so. Seems there is a differance between the to colors or shades of white.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
Live Long and Prosper!

-

-

As best I can remember, the hard top option with the car added about $2800 to either Premium or Deluxe. You do have to consider that shipping the top on a car probably cost no more than shipping a car with only a soft top. But shipping the top, cart and dust cover by freight carrier is bound to be expensive. Oh, and don't forget that those little plastic protector strips they send. Those probably aren't cheap if you want to buy more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back