Opinion on purchasing Ford Extended Warranty

Do you recommend purchasing Ford Extended Care Warranty?

• Yes purchase Ford Extended Care

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No save your money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been my experience that these 3rd party extended warranties are a ripoff. Too many loopholes and a ridiculously difficult process to file a claim. Most, if not all, will not use new OEM parts, they will insist on supplying their own refurbished/reconditioned parts. My trusted mechanic of 20 years refuses to deal with them. I found this out after shelling out $1800 for a 4 year warranty through a dealer. Lesson learned. As Mach5 said, I would have been better off just setting that money aside. Buyer beware!

I’m thinking that I’m getting a Ford ESP Warranty. If it’s not, I understand and don’t want it! I’ll clarify this with the dealer. Thanks for your advise.

Ford ESP paid almost three times my cost. Believe one on a 2005 might still be available.

Normally can give a rat's arse what Dave Ramsey thinks but that is exactly what I am doing. Untouchable repair fund is now over $2000.

You guys have been talking extending warranty, but I have seen no reference to "degree" of warranty

As I recall, 4 years ago when I bought her, there were 4 levels .... lowest being engine & tranny .. next being previous + some other less costly components which I got (and it paid off partially on an Air conditioner for me) .. then there were 2 higher and more costly levels getting into electrical etc

Am in Canada and not sure if I can extend further - will check .. did buy it used from Ford Dealer, so got warranty easily

Any thoughts on levels of coverage would be appreciated

Followed link above and maybe "Whatever the cost of the extended warranty is, set aside 50% of that and use it to pay for car repairs." sounds like a good thought ... in the almost 4 years f my partial warranty I would be out about $1,000 (subtracting air con work against what I paid) .... decision time this month as it will run out at end of January

Last edited:
This is a dead issue as of October 2019 Ford will not issue an ESP on any 2005 vehicle.

My ESP paid 2.5 times it's cost. Well worth it as it was the only warranty I ever purchased on anything. Am now self insuring as I put $50 in a cigar box every month. Now up to over $500 in the kitty. Recommend you doing the same.

Ford dealer said Car Shield does not honor their warranty- 3 clear cases not being paid. And I was all set to pay $165/ mth for their no-contact Platinum plan. Any good ones out there?

Ford dealer said Car Shield does not honor their warranty- 3 clear cases not being paid. And I was all set to pay $165/ mth for their no-contact Platinum plan. Any good ones out there?
Car shield doesn’t honor much of anything. None of the retro birds are eligible for the Ford warranty anymore. The 2005 ended earlier this year. I wouldn’t recommend any after market warranty product.

I've never had an extended warranty in 55 years of car ownership. I think my largest repair ever was $800 for air conditioning in a first gen Durango... And I rarely buy new cars - usually one year old or more.

Another reason why extended warranties are a rip off! This lady needed all 8 coils replaced at once, which cost less than 50 bucks for 8 aftermarket. She's spent 800.00 in deductibles already because they change one COP per visit. Think about the time effort and headache having to bow to the demands of the warranty company and change one at a time knowing the others will fail soon. Also her valve cover gasket probably needs to be replaced as well or the new ignition coils will fail again.

Her post- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/2004-limp-mode-problems.10082/post-63059

Last edited:
Because of the advise I was given on this forum, I purchased the ford warranty on my 2005 before the cutoff date. My local ford dealer in NY changed all the bushings and control arms on the car. I paid the $200 deductible. Thanks for the heads up!

Because of the advise I was given on this forum, I purchased the ford warranty on my 2005 before the cutoff date. My local ford dealer in NY changed all the bushings and control arms on the car. I paid the $200 deductible. Thanks for the heads up!

People who save money or have money don't need extended warranties that cost thousands of dollars. As explained in this video below, you are better to "self-insure" yourself. If you buy an extended warranty on every car you own, the warranty company will ALWAYS COME OUT AHEAD! It's just common sense, they are there to make money, not be your savior.

A lot of those suspension parts are dirt cheap on Amazon/Ebay- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum...-sway-bars-tie-rods-2002-2003-2004-2005.9490/

The entire Control arm kit is 135.00 on Ebay. The left/right control arms are 25.00 each. Which is less than your deductible. You don't need a Ford Dealer to install suspension parts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back