OK I have a bitch - cruise control light

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NuttyGambler

UPDATE EMAIL ADDRESS
This did bother me a little last fall when I got my bird; I took mine out of its winter sleep on Friday. Saturday night went out and on the way home it just started really making me mad.

Maybe it is just me because my eyes are sensitive to light. But WHY does that cruise control light have to be RIGHT in the middle of the dash, be SO bright and NOT be able to adjust it with the dash light controls? It basically blinds you when you drive at night. I like my dash lights turned down to a light glow.

I am considering taking electrical tape to cover it.

Am I alone here or what? My other Fords do not have this light as bright and positioned in such a blinding spot.

Anybody have any suggestions? It is really taking away from night driving.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

NuttyGambler - I'm with you. It is a real irritation. Tht problem existed on a van I used to have too, and I would put my hand on the steering wheel hub and block the light.

Haven't decided on the solution yet. Was hoping someone on the board might come up with an easy fix.

Chris

I'll have to try this out. Haven't even used the cruise on mine yet, but will now try it at night.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Just got off the phone with my dealer. He understands where I'm coming from. Is calling the Ford hotline. Maybe if others bitch...
smile.gif

Problem with adding it to the dash dimmer is that would only be on when my lights are on. But now that I think of it. I have my lights come on automatically anyways.

Will update as I learn more.

I took note of the light on mine from the outset. It WAS distracting for a time---I kept thinking I had my high beams on. I'm up to 6800+ miles, and now don't even notice it. Just pure driving bliss.

NuttyGambler, I took mine out tonight on Rt 83. I tried the cruise and didn't find a problem with the light in the middle of the cluster. It was a little brighter then the rest of the lights but it didn't bother me at all. Just my opinion.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

It isn't a problem if you like your dash lights set in the brightest end of the range. On a short evening cruise (joy ride)I tend to use brighter dash lights, particularly in city driving. However, when I drive late at night on open roads at the end of a long day, I prefer to set the lights low, which is less distracting, and easier on my eyes. That is when the non-dimmable cruise is irritating.

Just the way I learned to drive.

I agree that it is irritating. I took a long trip recently and it really bothered me. Where other lights are bright I do turn up the dash lights, but like Birdbrain, I like to turn down the dash lights to where it's just viewable and enjoy the night. That cruise light is really bright then. And all you need is a little something to remind you that cruise control is on.

I have considered putting a piece of translucent "magic tape" over that light, but sure would be interested in other ideas.

------------------
VIN 106587 White, White

Yes, I guess I forget to say, I live in rural Minnesota. Most of my driving is on nearly empty country highways.

In city driving when your eyes are always adjusting to others headlights and overhead lights I doubt it would be an issue.

Just seems like a real dumb design. If it went up and down with the dimmer it would make sense. I am not letting up on this one. Has to be a beter way. Even if it means taking out the bulb or light completely. I think I know if I do not have my foot on the gas I must have the cruise on...

If it's like most of the Ford instrument clusters, there are small bulbs 'clipped' in the back of the cluster. It should be relatively easy to pull the cluster and remove the bulb. Just make sure you put the bulb holder back in or you may see light thru the hole that is left. I did that with a Cadillac once that had a bulb that bothered me. In that case it was the warning light for the air shocks. I had removed the shocks and the light stayed on all the time, drove me nuts until I finally removed the bulb.

What about cutting out a small piece of dark window tint film and sticking it over the instrument light. That would tone down the light at night, but it would still be visible.

You might try using a small piece of static cling sun share material to cover the light. I have some that I use to make temp. shades at times. You can find in RV stores or catalogs.

------------------
Bill's Red and White #4359

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back