Oil Choices | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Oil Choices

• Thread starter Thread starter ajsam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did the first oil change on my new bird. I used Castrol 5W20 Semi-syn. I'm not completely comfortable with ths weight of motor oil. It just seems too light weight for my "old school tastes." I plan on switching to full syn at 5000 miles. I know Castrol makes a full syn 5W20 so I know I can get it. I'm more concerned about protection for the engine's internals. Is 5W20 really the way to go or will the engine be better served by a good Full Syn 10W30 oil such as Red Line or Mobil 1? Any inputs appreciated, Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Seems ford only uses this oil

When ckecked on all my other cars its 5/30 even in full syn.

Have also noticed this 5/20 oil blend is usually off the side by itself.

However would use the recommended oil till warranty out since have
no faith in Ford to not and try to wiggle out of a repair on the others.
Don't trust FMC.

.....I agree with abiding by what the manufacturer says in and out of warranty...5W20...seems to be specified on a lot of new vehicles...the latest being the D/C 300 and Magnum for instance...... 😀

If you’ve ever visited a “motor oil” forum or Ford F-150 forum then you know that the motor oil weight issue is a hot topic. IMHO I honestly believe I’ll never need to use Ford’s engine warranty simply because I am using Mobil 1 5w-30. Typically a defective crank, bearing, cam etc. will expire early in the life of an engine, regardless of your choice of superior oils. On the other hand the chronic effects of using motor oil that provided marginal or slightly inadequate protection will show up somewhere around the 100,000 mile mark or beyond, provided one changes oil and filters at recommended intervals. IMHO the difference in engine wear between 100,000 mile use of 5w-20 vs. Mobil 1 5w-30 will be less than the thickness of a human hair. I personally prefer to retain that thickness of metal on my bears, cylinder walls, rings etc. and enjoy the extra compression. I also understand it is proven that engine wear accelerates as any engine wears. In other words moving internal engine components of an engine with 150,000 miles are wearing much faster than in an identical engine with 10,000 miles on it. As far as Ford wiggling out of warranty coverage goes, they can wiggle, but they can’t hide. Vehicle manufacturers recommend using motor oils meeting certain grades and American Petroleum Institute service requirements. Whether the motor oil is petroleum based or synthetic will not affect warranty coverage. The manufacturer is required to cover all equipment failures it would normally cover as long as the oil meets the requirements and was not the cause of the failure. The day Ford can prove that using Mobil 1 5w-30 was the cause of engine failure will be the same day hell freezes over, neither of which will ever happen. I continue to save my oil and filter purchase receipts as well as keep accurate maintenance records just as I’m sure you do. I have the proof that I did my part in the very unlikely event that I need it. P.S. If Ford ever markets their concept supercharged T-Bird this is one guy that can’t wait to see what motor oil they recommend.

Valvoline's SynPower Motor Oil. Mail-in offer

ABOUT:
To enhance your vehicle’s power and performance try a FREE case of Valvoline's SynPower Motor Oil. Mail-in offer. See offer form for complete details. Offer expires September 30, 2004.

BUY:
One case or 6 quarts of Valvoline SynPower Motor Oil and Valvoline will send you a rebate check for the purchase price up to $28.00.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/rebates/rebate_details.asp?rebateid=18

Thanks Quickdraw, I just downloaded my rebate form. I'm not a big Valvoline fan but If they want to offer me a free case of syn oil, I'll try it (in my truck, not my T-Bird!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back