Obsolete Oil Filter? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Obsolete Oil Filter?

• Thread starter Thread starter birdman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to start a debate about oil filter brands, but can anyone tell me if the Motorcraft FL-218 oil filter is still made? That's what came on my T-Bird when it was new so I just stuck with it. In fact I purchased a case of the filters back in 03. I still have enough to last a few more years, but I did an internet search for the filters today and some sites say the filter is obsolete. No, I haven't tried a Ford dealer yet. I was hoping to find a better price on the internet.

A well known auto parts store (site) recommended the Motorcraft FL-2021 oil filter for 02/05 Thunderbirds. If anyone has tried that filter can you tell me if it has the same oil capacity as an FL-218? I would like to stay with the larger size if at all possible and I'll probably buy two cases this time. Thanks in advance for any input!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, it would definitely appear that way. I am not sure about the capacity difference, but I am pretty sure that the replacement for it is in fact the 2021. From what I hear, it performs on par with the 218 just fine. I personally don't pay that much attention to my filters, but I'm not too detail oriented. 😛

Good deal. Yeah, let me know what you find out. I'm kind of curious how they compare, too. One of these times I might have to rip two of them apart side by side and see what they are made of/how they hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back