Newb - Cylinder wall question | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Newb - Cylinder wall question

• Thread starter Thread starter Six7390GT
  • Start date Start date
S
OK, I've got the bug. I've wanted one of these retro birds since they came out. I've been researching and watching prices. I'd sure like to find a nice PCR close by - I'm in Washington state.
I see the AJ-V8 3.9 engine originally had a Nikasil cylinder wall coating. Later versions went to cast iron cylinder liners. Do these Thunderbirds have the cast iron liners?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

OK, I've got the bug. I've wanted one of these retro birds since they came out. I've been researching and watching prices. I'd sure like to find a nice PCR close by - I'm in Washington state.
I see the AJ-V8 3.9 engine originally had a Nikasil cylinder wall coating. Later versions went to cast iron cylinder liners. Do these Thunderbirds have the cast iron liners?
Thanks

This is all I can find: Nikasil coated aluminium cylinder block, including the Lincoln LS the 2002-2005 Ford Thunderbird as well

In the T - Birds and Lincoln LS Ford called it a 3.9 liter and in the Jaguar they called it 4.0 Liter, ( remember Ford owned Jaguar back then ) they are the same motor. The only difference is that 2004 and 2005 they are the Cobra 4.6 liter motor destroked to 3.9 Liters. Most of the goodies in the 4.6 Cobra Motor are found in the 3.9. The big difference between the 2002, 2003, 2004 is the air intake, they are in the back of the intake manifold. The 2005 has it air intake in the front of the manifold like the 4.6 Liter Cobra Motor.
You can take the 4.0 Liter Jag motor which is Supercharged and put it in the T-Bird (which will bolt right in)you will end up with over 425 hp of course you have to change the computer also.

I happened on this youtube site that covers everything you'll ever want to know about a 2002 (to 2005) T-Bird. I believe it will be helpful to a potential buyer and a great starting point on what to look for when looking for a retro-bird. It is about 26 minutes LONG so have a cup of coffee in hand.

Back