New Owner - 1962 T-bird - What is the best heat/sound insulation, etc.

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Leon
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
First off, I just purchased my first ever thunderbird. I have owned several other classic cars/trucks in my past, but this is my first Thunderbird and I want to do it right when it comes to restoring her. She is already in decent original condition, but I want to make her better. So I was wondering if I could fire a couple of questions at you all.

-What is the best insulation you have found for heat/sound for the floor? While she has A/C, the heat coming from the floor is noticeable.

-What is the best oil to use? I have done a bit of research and Rotella 15/40W seems to be a favorite. The engine is stock.

30706736_973902512786991_6387369822379835392_n.jpg

Welcome ! I purchased my 62 last year and had the same heat from floor issue. I replaced the heater core and now all is well.

Thanks! I will have to put that on my list of things to do, but still want to do some sound proofing.

I just installed Frost King 1/8" thick, 12" by 15' Foam pipe wrap on our '66. Heat wise it has an R value of 3. I only used a single layer but I'm considering going back and adding a second layer for a total of R6. I was worried about doing 2 layers but the new carpet with mass backing fit very well and should take a second layer without issue. I used a single layer on the passenger door and sound wise it's rather spectacular for $20. I haven't done the other door yet and the difference in sound when closing the door is astounding.

On my door, with clean metal, the Frost King's adhesive sticks very well. I used a roller when installing, it helps quite a bit. On the floor, it stuck to clean metal no problem. Anyplace that had old bits of carpet, insulation or sound deadening material adhesion was a problem. I used carpet adhesive and it stuck very well.

I expect to use 5 rolls of the Frost King stuff, should come in less than a $100. A second layer to the floor will probably add another $40 to the cost. Regardless, at $140 you're coming in at half the cost of the big name products and getting decent heat and sound control.

On another project I used a homemade version of Lizard Skin. I sprayed 2 coats of 1:1 ratio of urethane paint and ceramic spheres on the underside of the car. The interior got 2 coats of 1:1 latex paint and ceramic spheres; on top of that I will use Frost King pipe insulation.

As you can tell, I prefer the cheaper options. From all my research it appears that the cheap stuff get things done just as well as the expensive stuff.

Nice bird, I had a 61, These are big cars that ride smooth and handle like a boat !...Congrats on your purchase.

Back