New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found any problems with the new engine? I had a 95 LX with the 4.6 engine and I have a 97 F-150 with the same engine. In cold weather when you would start up the car or truck I would get a slight ping for the first 30 to 45 seconds. Sounded like a valve tape. But it would go away after about a minute of running. Is this a problem with the 3.9 engine? Would think some of the LS owners would know something about this.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293

I haven't experienced any pinging on the 3.9L engine in 61,000 miles.

------------------
Brian Gowing
President/Founder
Lincoln LS Owners Club
www.llsoc.com

In a former life, I used to see the cold start-up "light knock" and it usually was caused by not using 5W30 oil. The oil change shops like to put in 10W40 or 10W30 and call it universal oil.

Insist on 5W30 for your 4.6L and 5W20 for the 3.9. The Motorcraft 5W20 is a synthetic blend to give you great start-up lubrication and high temperature protection on long hauls. You can use it in your 4.6 but it is a little more expensive.

Originally posted by Gobird:
Has anyone found any problems with the new engine? I had a 95 LX with the 4.6 engine and I have a 97 F-150 with the same engine. In cold weather when you would start up the car or truck I would get a slight ping for the first 30 to 45 seconds. Sounded like a valve tape. But it would go away after about a minute of running. Is this a problem with the 3.9 engine? Would think some of the LS owners would know something about this.

I had a 96 Mustang GT and a 97 F150 4x4, both with the 4.6 and both ran fine.

Tbird.

When I was working for the Ford Dealer as a Service Advisor we received some TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) from Ford saying that the noise at cold start up was piston slap but it was not detrimental to the engine and should tell customers not to worry.

------------------
Yellow/Yellow Prem. 02 Bird w/full accent
1999 F150 Super Cab 4x4 Off Road
1998 Taurus SE Sport 24V

Thanks Lon,I didn't know what was causing it because I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles and do use 5-30 oil in them.

------------------
Blue on Blue Prem. STILL WAITING Ordered in Jan. 7of12
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond
Got Vin. 109293

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back