need instructions on removing 1966 gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
X
just got a '66 'bird and it runs awesome from a gas can but can't get gas from the tank. I'm planning on having the gas tank flushed and sealed by a local radiator shop that did the tank in my '65 Lincoln 'vert perfectly...figured I'd change out the pick up while I'm there. So, I have the straps removed, plug and fuel line from the pick up taken off and tank won't drop. It almost looks like the exhaust is getting in the way but before I just go hacking it off was wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

oh well, figured it own all on my little lonesome...LOL

so, on the '66 (not sure about other years) there are 2 straps, with 2 j-hooks, then the pick up has a plug (from what I've read up on them it can be set up with or without the low fuel warning) and the fuel line. once these items have been removed, go into the trunk, remove the metal cover over the fill tube, then the 4 screws to remove the oval cover that goes directly over where the tube goes thru the trunk floor. then you remove the 4 screws in the filler door holding the filler tube to the car, reach inside and twist and pull the tube directly out from the tank. now since I'm having the tank cleaned and coated I'll have to replace the seal it looks like where the filler tube goes into the tank. my exhaust is bolted together so it doesn't look like I'll have to cut it, just pull it apart (will try tomorrow in the sunlight). so far so good, wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back